Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The DNR asks sportsman to disinfect nets and livewells, to help prevent the spread of VHS. The commercial trap nets in SagBay concentrate large numbers of fish in a small area, infected fish trapped are in direct contact with other fish and the mesh walls of the trap. Non target fish are released and the slimey trap put back into the water. Any other oppinions.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
It has just been brought to my attention that Sanford lake has also tested positive for VHS, is it very important that all anglers are washing off their boats and running a bleach/water mix through their livewell systems before
hopping from lake to lake..... EVERYONE should be doing this.
:sad:

·
Registered
343 Posts
where did you get your information about sanford.
I live right there, and have been fishing above and below the dam regularly for the last 2 months, and i haven't seen any sign of a fish kill.
I can't find any reports on the internet yet, so i was just curious.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
When they netted Sanford this spring, they tested for the virus,
and a pike turned up positive, and no there hasn't been a fish kill yet.
I'm not sure how long it takes the virus to take it's toll like it did on Budd.
Or even if it will.. seems no one really knows. But i'm sure if Budd, and Sanford are positive, the whole Titt chain is probably positive and
alot of other inland lakes.
Only time will tell what the toll will be.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
well this one i agree with and it might be a big problem....every one should be washing their boat out no matter what...even if the virus is present adding more to it wont help anything..if we are lucky it might only be one cold winter that gets rid of this ..but after having 2-3 ft of ice last year im not sure about that either....only thing im really wondering about has any one heard how this affects the silver carp?...usually mother nature finds a way to purge the system when it gets over loaded..hate to say that but theres a lot fish added to the great lakes over the past 100 years both on purpose and by accedent////and it might be time for the lakes to decide whats gonna be in em

·
Registered
15 Posts
The virus is likely in Sanford because it is connected to the Saginaw system and Bay, Lake Huron...where it has been found. I don't know Budd, but I believe that is landlocked.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
well this mess will come to a head shortly as the water heats up so will the spread of it...and jbigarow your right anything thats not land locked is allready contaminated...problem is that there is no truely land locked water in michigan....birds turtles boats ect. carry everything every where...case in point a pond dug near fairgrove...20 miles from saginaw bay approximatly said pond had carp with in 5 years after being dug,,,and that was with 0 boat traffic.......all it takes is a damn duck with an egg or two stuck to it

any who fisheyejack any time you wanna wet a line your boat or mine ...or hit a pier just hollar/////fishon brother

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bomba - just wondering where you got the news that Sanford was positive for VHS? I'm a fisheries manager with the DNR and just checked with the people who should know...and NO results are in yet for the pike on Sanford.

·
Registered
160 Posts
FYI...
I run fishing charters on western basin Lake Erie most of the summer and when it hit last year there were massive dieoffs on the lake.. Fortunatley it appeard to only be sheepshead and maybe a catfish or 2.. I dont recall seeing one dead walleye but I guess they had a yellow perch kill in the central basin LE...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts