Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this holdiay season is shot. Have to put my Knox (gsp) down some time real soon. Moron got cranked by a car when he was young and just has not recovered. A worn pad that just will not heal cause of his limp, sezuires something wack on the rear 1/2. Poor gut just isn't happy in life. He'll still hunt but he's only good for a mile before he starts feeling pain. Up here our pat hunts tend to take the shape of 2 to 5 mile walks. He just can't do it.

I was thinking of keeping him around as a pet but the wife is putting the foot down. With her two cats, my duck dog, and another bird dog coming this spring, I'm being told the animal farm is as big as its gonna get. So its either he hunts or he goes.

I know she's right but she's still getting a size XL Filson waxed field jackert for X-mas, just my size and color.;)

Like I said, sad sad sad X-mas

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Perhaps there's someone out here that interested in the dog as a pet rather than a working dog. Is there a possibility this dog could live a happy life sitting on someone's living room floor getting petted all night long?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If ya pump em full doggy downers. I'm sure you know that most gsp's are a little wired, this one is on the wayyy wired side. If he doesn't run a good solid hour or more a day he goes nuts. And because of his injurys he really can't work that energy off without hurting himself a little. Sad, truly sad.

So, yeah, he could be a pet but the owner would have to amputate the leg, work on the other medical problems, and be very aware of what their getting. Knox's stock truly is one of the more powered up gsp stocks I've come across.

I've checked my area but its hard finding someone willing to take on the task.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
2tundras said:
If ya pump em full doggy downers. I'm sure you know that most gsp's are a little wired, this one is on the wayyy wired side. If he doesn't run a good solid hour or more a day he goes nuts.
15 years ago I rescued a Vizsla from the Dearborn Animal Shelter. I was the third owner this dog had had in his 8-9 months of existence. The others could not handle this dog's energy and desire to want to run.

I took him and had him for 9 years. What a great dog! Had to put him down because of tumors in his mouth. But he was the best companion a dog owner could ever ask for.

I miss Skeeter!:gaga::sad:

·
Registered
358 Posts
2tundras said:
If ya pump em full doggy downers. I'm sure you know that most gsp's are a little wired, this one is on the wayyy wired side. If he doesn't run a good solid hour or more a day he goes nuts. And because of his injurys he really can't work that energy off without hurting himself a little. Sad, truly sad.

So, yeah, he could be a pet but the owner would have to amputate the leg, work on the other medical problems, and be very aware of what their getting. Knox's stock truly is one of the more powered up gsp stocks I've come across.

I've checked my area but its hard finding someone willing to take on the task.
Can you please PM me with the dogs stats...age, weight...blah blah blah?
I know my breeder will do anything she can to keep a GSP alive and well and maybe she'll want him. My dog was nine months old when i got it from her...she originally breed her. The owners daughter was allergic....
Please give me a chance before putting him down. She probably won't but it's worth a try.

John

·
Registered
893 Posts
I feel for you! I have a 5 year old pointer that I rescued 1 year ago. He was going to be put down because of a severe wrist injury that limits him to about 1-2 hours of exercise per day (otherwise he can barely walk for the next week). He has a huge calcium deposit on his wrist, and he also makes dog #4 in the house, but he is awesome. He is a 2X NSTRA champion, so he makes an outstanding training dog (he works better than a backing dummy).

All that said, he holds a valuable spot in my house because my wife says before I can own another one, one has to go. He would be the one to go, but he is just too darn good of a dog.

Can't your little lady be "massaged" to keep him?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Think I'd get rid of the cats 1st. Hope you can find the dog home.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Its a hard thing to do, but i would try to find him another home before you put him down. As said get rid of those worthless cats before you get rid of your hunntin buddys.
Atleast your dogs can hunt. What do the cats do?

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
I don't want to come off a unduly harsh... but you posted in March that your fiance hates your dog. It appears she still does.

I was thinking of keeping him around as a pet but the wife is putting the foot down.
So its either he hunts or he goes.
If your vet tells you it is time that is one thing....to have a dog as a castaway item is quite another.

I implore you to explore all your options to get him to a new home as someones pet.

Maybe thes people can help

German Shorthaired Pointer Rescue of Michigan
13650 N. Sheridan Rd.
Montrose, MI 48457
Phone: 989-770-4480 Fax: 989-770-5208
Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
A worthless dog is better than any cat...
When was the last time you saw a cat smile when you came home?
When has a cat ever saved a life other than its own?
That said, you still probably can't get rid of the cats, but you can find a home for a best friend. Pets should not be a disposable item just because they don't fit our lifestyle. He has but 1 life, but 1 hope. Unless a vet says it is best for the animal, do not exstinguish a worthwhile companion.
YOU hold his future, and at this point YOU play GOD.
Don't regret your action.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I've been working on her the past week or so to let him stay on as a pets. But she comes back at with the fac tthat the poor little bugger just isn't happy with his being physically restricted. So he whines more than he should, etc. Normal reaction. His biggest problem is her bithcin. Maybe she should go to the vet for a one time shot. :D (I hope she doesn't check this site)

Got a few PM's on a second home for him. That would definatly be a heck of a better option.

I wouldn't say my wife hates em, she just did not grow up in a hunting family and can't understand why anyone would want a dog on coke for a buddy, just to kill those "brown chickens." Christalmighty. And she calls herself a yooper.

Anybody out there that has a line on a hone shoot me a P.M. I'll drive em anywhere.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"NEMichSportsman "to have a dog as a castaway item is quite another. "

I didn't mean for anyone to think I was willing to just take em out back and put some lead in his head cause the old lady is getting tetsy. This is hard stuff. Its taken me months to accept that his injuries are really making him an unhappy dog. Not in a lot of pain unless I work em, but just miserable.

I am on going to put in an unkown home unless they convince me they know what they are taking on. Like I said, a truly wired gsp that CAN NOT run off his mojo cause of his injury(s). I'd rather him go to that great ash stand on the sky than live another 5 years simply miserable.

But if I can find someone that can pull it off i'll jump on it. Just have not come across that yet.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
2 Tundras - Have you contacted the GSP Resuce of MI yet?

How about a divorce attorney? :D

·
Registered
854 Posts
i have a old dog and he cant go more than a mile whithout huting but he wins wating me to take him i would give him to asprin before you go out and then if he starts hurtin again give him 1 more do not exceed 4 badd for the dog. i love asprin it heels all the pains for the dogg:confused: :yikes:

·
Registered
964 Posts
Whats the history behind this dog..... it got hit by a car and then what? What type of medical treatment has it had up to this point?

I think you owe it to the dog to do everything in your power to let him live his life (if feasible) even if it means he is a pet to someone else. Putting him down should be last resort.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
2tundras,

Just a thought here, you might want to give the folks at MSU a call. They are usually willing to work with a pet owner on difficult circumstances. Cases that are above average in difficulty help as a teaching aide for their Vet students. They take on these cases for their Surgeons to learn on. They are backed up by the Surgical Instructor, so it's not like a Lab experiement. My next door neighbor had a Shepard/Chow mix that had bad hips. They were told to have him put down by their Vet. They took him to MSU, they replaced both of his Hips at a fraction of the normal cost. The dog lived to be 12 years old. It would only cost you a phone call to find out. Good Luck. FRANK

Bonz 54

It's like Christmas, with Guns...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts