Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Sad Day For Us

959 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  whitedog 
#1 ·
Well we have been out training our dogs for this upcoming season and we had a good chase going on a very small bear, and when i say small bear being no more than 125 lbs, Things were going good as they were crossing roads and we were getting dogs losse as they crossed roads and all the other things that go with it, nothing is or has happed yet that is out of the ordinarry, as the chase is winding down for the day we have gotten all but 2 dogs back out of a very big swamp, and i know whitedog knows the big jungle we were in ? well any way we got one more of the two dogs back just about 7:00pm lastnight with this leaving one out yet, we know the area she is in being a very well rounded 4 year old walker female, she would run until no tommorw for ya stand on the bottom of the tree and never quit barking until you showed up, could not ask for or buy a better dog, as she was one of our top dogs, as she will be missed but not forgotten we have other top dogs but but it is hard when you losse one of your top hunting dogs and not to mention a friend.
What happen is she was moving and in this very thick jungle of a swamp chasing this little bear, took and put a pretty good spanking on here, from what we could tell she had been bitten in three or four spots with one being into the lung area, as i was out until 3:00 am this morning trying to get her out of the woods but just was not happing, so we went back to camp until early this morning and we walked arcross the creek and this is when we found her, as you could see there was some sort of fight going on as all the brush was tor up and it did not look good even before we found her, should add these were bite marks not claw marks.
Just thought i would pass this some what of a story along to other hunters, as we have been dog hunting for more than 40 years, and close to the last 20 with tracking collars and thank god for them other wise we could only emagened what could have happened, we would have never knowen, as other hound hunters know it never happens to a dog that is not so good, always to your better ones, At least she died what she liked doing, and from the way we look at things it is buy far better than getting hit buy a car out on the road, because you still would not know who hit her.
Well headed back to the woods check back in a day or so.

:mad:

See less See more
#8 ·
Hey just got back in from camp, And thought i would check in to see what has been going on, thanks for all the good things said as she will be missed but never forgoten.
Well been haven a little luck running the hounds we have looked up at the last 3 bear we have run, there were no shooters though just small ones, maybe the biggest 170 lbs, what fun to let the bears go and grow up just which more bear hunters would do the same ? as we have be hunting this area for more than 40 years and it is no different than any other type of hunting if you shoot everthing you will be hunting in a different area that's for sure. well taken a couple days off then will be back at it.
Hey whitedog what happened to ya ?

#9 ·
hey scr sorry to hear of the loss of your hound i know the feelin ive been so busy and only a few days a week to run i have to run on my time off i will get up your way i have 2 hunters to get bear for so i have to keep the dogs in shape maybe try to get up for a beer this big weekend if i have a min i will ill bring a couple dogs case it gets to late to come home lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.