Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a CVA Optima and was trying to decide what bullets/grain size i should buy. I will be using 150 grains of powder.

If anyone shoots this gun and could point me in the right direction, that would be great.
Thanks.
REEDRELLIK

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
Gotta try a few different ones and let the gun tell you which one it likes. For the record, I use 100 gr. Pyro pellets and a TC Shockwave 250. After trying several different loads and bullets, my Encore is the most ACCURATE with this combination. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
12,882 Posts
i have the same gun and love the powerbelts.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Tac driver for my .50 cal Optima Pro is this:

250gr Shockwave
100gr Triple Seven
Triple 7 primer

After every shot 3 swabs with wet patch and 3 with dry patch. Then end of day clean it to the T.

Also, I found using 150gr podwer scattered and tumbled my bullets.

Ben

·
Registered
10,942 Posts
The girlfriends elite likes any 250 put through it. Loves TC Shockwave/HornadySSTs as well as the Knight (Barnes) Tipped Grand Slams.

All this over 2 50G T7 Pellets and T7 primers

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
IMHO 150 is overkill and not needed....unless ya just wanna say you do it...... I think you'll find better accuracy using 100 grains regardless of what bullet you shoot.........

·
Registered
414 Posts
150gr. isnt gonna make you a better shot...:lol:.(J/J) I just picked up more shockwave 250's. Let me know this weekend when you want to shoot. I still have some fine tuning wit mine.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have that rifle. I use 245 gr hollow-point Powerbelts in front of 150 grains of American Pioneer pellets with a 209 primer. It's really accurate for me. It's also done a great job on deer the last 3 years. Good luck.

·
Registered
612 Posts
i shoot the cva accura the load i use is 100gr charges of whitehot pellets (2 pellets) and hornady 240gr xtp low recoil and it's a tack driver out to 100yards maybe longer but have'nt tried.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I also use the cva optima pro and use 100 grain powder and 250 powerbelts. I tryed using 150 grains of powder and can not get a good group.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I also use the cva optima pro and use 100 grain powder and 250 powerbelts. I tryed using 150 grains of powder and can not get a good group.
I too shoot an Optima Pro with the exact recipe.I belive this is the best set up and I have tried alot.The 150 tend to send tumblers that keyholed the target at 100yrds.Good Luck with the new smokepole and if you got the silvermatte finish be sure to keep on the cleaning regularly.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Didnt like the powerbelts when I was muzzleloading,, they tended to blow up on impact for me.. My gun really liked hornady sst's infront of 2-50 pellets of pyrodex.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the tips. Its gonna really help when i go buy the rest of the stuff today.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Great gun, I have the same one but the optima pro. I shoot 245 power belts with 150 grains of pyrodex pellets(3). I have shot a lot of deer with set up and they dont go far, most drop right there. Good luck

·
Registered
965 Posts
I agree with many others that 150 gr. is too much. I shoot 100 gr. w' 270 gr. powerbelt platinums. it's like shooting my .22 as accuracy goes. I even use it in the off season for squirrel hunting and practice. Head shots!

i recently found Harvester bullets which seem similar but have yet to try them out. They are much less expensive than powerbelts, etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts