Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard different things...that you can only use two hooks on your sabikis, or that you can use the regular 5 or 6. So what's the scoop? Is it really only two?

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
yeah....2 hooks only to be legal. Unless ur using them for smelt in designated waters.

Wonder if a cast net would work?

R u guys freelining them, bottom rigs or slips?

Might try to talk the secratary of war into going over next week when were @ higgins..... Ill have to spin it has a sunset watching trip!!

·
Registered
637 Posts
You are allowed 6 hooks on your sabiki because it is a bait rig. If you were to use it for perch, it would be illegal. This info is coming from a DNR guy. The sabiki I picked up the other day has a size 5 hook on it and the mainline is to heavy if you ask me. Backcast has the light line ones last I knew.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I've posted on this topic before, and at the risk of repeating myself; Michigan regs permit 2 lines and 4 hooks. There is no rule against 4 hooks on one line. I wrote the DNR on the issue, and only received a phone call from a sgt. in law enforcement. She shared that sabakis were not crawler harnesses, nor covered by the unlimited hooks in designated smelt waters. As a rule the most frequent violation on the piers is not too many lines (though most sabaki users generally use too many lines), it is too many hooks. If you wanted to be catching alewives and fishing salmon at the same time; it would be legal to have one live alewife in the water; and be jigging a three hook sabaki.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I use the standard Diaihci 6 hook model and have never had a problem with anyone. I use size 10-14 and slaughter them.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
A 2 hook sabiki will work almost as well as the 6-8 hook models and lower the risk of tangling and injuries from those tiny hooks.:rant: It's also much more cost effective to buy a 6-8 hook sabiki and cut it in half to make 2. Another trick is to use small sections of those foam pool noodles to store sabikis. It stops them from getting tangled and helps cut down on the number of hooks in your clothing:).

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's good, as i have millions of sabikis from 6 -14 that I use in FL. I'll be bringing a few 10 and 12s for the ales.

I dont even bother to keep my sabikis. You can get them so cheap in FL (.99) that its just easier to throw them away after you're done using them.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Gander Mountain in Grandville had them yesterday I didnt notice what size but they did have them. A new bait shop on M-104 has them, and Shoreline Service in Muskegon has smelt rigs which are pretty much the same thing except they have 4 hooks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts