Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

S&W X-frame in .350 Legend

708 Views 12 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  9mm Hi-Power
I saw this on the cover of the Rifleman. Boy do I have a soft spot for revolvers.

I showed it to Mrs. HF and said out loud, this is neat, but I don't 'need' one. Then I listed the reasons.

Did I talk myself out of it? We'll see what I dream about tonight.

Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory
Reactions: old graybeard
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
#1 reason not to get it. Moon Clips
#2 reason not to get it. Moon Clips
#3 reason not to get it. Freaking Moon Clips.
Moonclips would be tolerable if it enabled you to shoot a shorter round, like .40sw in a 10mm revolver. In this chambering there is no advantage. And what about the dreaded flame cutting that killed the .357max?
Reactions: Johnnydeerhunt
What are moonclips?
Moonclips would be tolerable if it enabled you to shoot a shorter round, like .40sw in a 10mm revolver. In this chambering there is no advantage. And what about the dreaded flame cutting that killed the .357max?
  • Haha
Reactions: RHRoss
What are moonclips?
  • Haha
Reactions: RHRoss
I Seemed like a lot of the problems stemmed from driving light bullets fast with fast powders

What are moonclips?
Device to turn a rebated rim or rimless round into a rimmed cartridge so it works in a revolver. They suck.

Font Household hardware Cylinder Metal Auto part
Moonclips are stamped-steel, star-shaped retainers that hold rimless cartridges together to aid in loading/reloading with revolvers.
What are moonclips?
Yes, and it wasn't that big of a thing. Shame that the great .357Max suffered in popularity as a result of the hysteria. I wish the gun industry would bring it back.
I Seemed like a lot of the problems stemmed from driving light bullets fast with fast powders
Reactions: bowhunter426
Hmm, I have several revos with moon clips. I've shot several ICORE and many USPSA matches with moon clips. I have sent a couple out to TK to convert them to moon clips. I see advantages, no drawbacks. I doubt I would spend money to convert a hunting revolver to use moon clips though.
And S&W is very likely to replace the frame under warranty. I've seen barrels replaced under warranty due to dropping the gun and denting the muzzle.

I never worry about how shooting might wear the gun, it's all part of the experience.
Yes, and it wasn't that big of a thing. Shame that the great .357Max suffered in popularity as a result of the hysteria. I wish the gun industry would bring it back.
HF, I would never talk anyone out of buying a gun. If you like it, buy it! Personally, as I get older, my guns get smaller and not bigger. The X-frame is YUGE!
Understood, I have a .460 with a 14" barrel. Before restricted rifle came into play, it was my deer gun.
... The X-frame is YUGE!
According to the article : "Counter-bored cylinders allow 350 Legend cartridges used in the Model 350 either with or without the factory- included full moon-clips." Pictured is an open cylinder with seven cartridges in it sans moon clip.

Evidently .357 Magnum cartridges will fit and can be fired in this revolver BUT S & W warns against it as the .357 Magnum bullet measures .357, while the 350 Legend bullet measures .355 and ( from the article) "...shooters are taking their safety into their own hands if they give this a try."

9mm Hi-Power
#1 reason not to get it. Moon Clips
#2 reason not to get it. Moon Clips
#3 reason not to get it. Freaking Moon Clips.
Reactions: motoscoota
1 - 13 of 13 Posts