Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
81 - 100 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
SW michigan native here currently living in Appalachia. Came home for a few weeks, managed to get on semi-sketchy ice in kent county one day earlier this month (the pumpkinseed pic). Today I finally got on ice down here and managed to put together a pile of perch including a couple of jumbos. Biggest was 12.5. Highly reccomend deep creek lake in Western Maryland if any of you ever make it out this way.
Snow Toy Fish Freezing Winter

Water Fin Fish Cloud Marine biology

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Temps dropping today made for some tough fishing. Fished shallow and deep couldn’t seem to get em to bite. Give it a shot again tomorrow, at least the lakes are freezing up nicely!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
50 Posts
Temps dropping today made for some tough fishing. Fished shallow and deep couldn’t seem to get em to bite. Give it a shot again tomorrow, at least the lakes are freezing up nicely!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I got out this afternoon also. They were pretty tight-lipped, not like a couple days ago. I found most of them were in 12 FOW about 3-4 ft off the bottom. Kept 12 bluegills. Happy to see didn't lose any ice the last couple of days...still 3.5-4".

·
Registered
124 Posts
Tough here, too. Watched several schools of gills move thru on cam and they'd take a look and keep moving on. Couple nibbles that wouldn't even move the spring bobber.
Basically the same here on the east side of the state too. I’ve been fishing in crystal clear water, so I’ve been able to just sight fish, but I’d have schools coming through every hour or so all day and just had SUPER light bites. Would have maybe had two fish in 7 hours had I not watched them bite. A lot of sucking it in and spitting it right back out again. Even watching them take it, I couldn’t hook them when they were doing that. That is until dusk. It was game on then.

·
Registered
603 Posts
From the 3 guys I know on ice today it was all good reports I heard. 3 different lakes. Plastic and lots of chasing but lots of limits pulled today.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I limited out yesterday morning also. Bite was very consistent in 16 to 18 feet of water. Ice was solid 6 inches. All Big gills and several over 9 inches.
May I ask what county? 6 inches sounds great! Was thinking of fishing tomorrow and cant decide if Cass/Van Buren has enough good ice to avoid the usual first ice zoos. Or if I should drive farther

Thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
May I ask what county? 6 inches sounds great! Was thinking of fishing tomorrow and cant decide if Cass/Van Buren has enough good ice to avoid the usual first ice zoos. Or if I should drive farther

Thanks
Southern Kalamazoo County. My first time out this year but it was worth the effort. Better wear cleats. Ice is very slick with no snow on top.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If I knew anything about this:
You boys and girls not catching fish are all making the same mistake!
Try using 00 thread for leader and get ready!!!
Those of you that feel the need to fill your bucket up, throw a McDonald’s hamburger down a hole about 10 feet away on the deeper side.
Enjoy

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
My plans for first ice trip were foiled by a COVID shot. Hopefully my son feels better tomorrow.

Good luck out there chumming with cheese burgers

·
Registered
603 Posts
If I knew anything about this:
You boys and girls not catching fish are all making the same mistake!
Try using 00 thread for leader and get ready!!!
Those of you that feel the need to fill your bucket up, throw a McDonald’s hamburger down a hole about 10 feet away on the deeper side.
Enjoy
2lb floro disappears the same and is more sensitive. Not to mention stronger. 00 thread had its day but try floro you will be happy imo.

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
2lb floro disappears the same and is more sensitive. Not to mention stronger. 00 thread had its day but try floro you will be happy imo.
I never was a thread believer.
00 thread is .005 in diameter and has color.
2 lb mono is .005 and is clear.
fluorocarbon .005 also and has the ability to pretty damn near vanish in water.
So use whatever you have the most confidence in

81 - 100 of 187 Posts