Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
41 - 60 of 187 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,431 Posts
This snow and rising water is messing up the west side. Might have to head to north central Michigan. -5 last night with no snow

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Checked 2 Kzoo county lakes on the way home from work that looked decent 2-3”s of solid ice where I checked them. I’m going to give her a whirl tomorrow. Be safe guys and gals!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Damn it. I figured it was a wash. I'll check a few spot tomorrow and if I find something, give it a whirl Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
611 Posts
I’ll be in your tracks. We got over 2 feet of snow around here. Doesn’t really matter how cold it gets. Until the snow melts or gets wet and settles, ice production is gonna be a slow process. If the no spud guys start wandering around a bit that would help though to let some water up and maybe pack things down a bit. We fish next weekend for sure though.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Hello Gentlemen! Things are getting real now! I hate to say it, but I'm probably going to give it a few more days. I'm excited to get out, but it's a long winter and I hate fishing nervous. There is no doubt there will be some guys out in various spots this weekend. Most of the reports I'm hearing are that most area lakes are not quite ready. Some are around 2". Probably many have fishable ice, but this snow makes it very difficult to get a read on bad spots. To me, if you have to spud/stomp/axe darn near every step...probably shouldn't be out there yet. I'll probably make a drive through my Allegan/Barry stomping grounds later today to see what's what. My son found some solid ice in Osceola this week, but one of the two lakes he fished had some very bad spots there too. Be safe everyone!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello Gentlemen! Things are getting real now! I hate to say it, but I'm probably going to give it a few more days. I'm excited to get out, but it's a long winter and I hate fishing nervous. There is no doubt there will be some guys out in various spots this weekend. Most of the reports I'm hearing are that most area lakes are not quite ready. Some are around 2". Probably many have fishable ice, but this snow makes it very difficult to get a read on bad spots. To me, if you have to spud/stomp/axe darn near every step...probably shouldn't be out there yet. I'll probably make a drive through my Allegan/Barry stomping grounds later today to see what's what. My son found some solid ice in Osceola this week, but one of the two lakes he fished had some very bad spots there too. Be safe everyone!
I’m with you. This snow makes it risky even with a spud. I live on a lake where one area out about 100 yards from the ramp froze up early before the snows, but past that was open water a day ago. The open water skimmed over just enough yesterday during the snow to be covered…and appears to be just like the first 100 yds. Someone could spud their way out and if they don’t test every step be in trouble pretty easily.

41 - 60 of 187 Posts