Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

S.W. Michigan (2022-23) ice conditions & fishing reports [emoji226]

15177 Views 144 Replies 38 Participants Last post by  Botiz
We are getting close guys & gals, hopefully we have good solid ice this season. Everyone be safe and good luck fishing!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
1 - 20 of 145 Posts
D&R Sports in Kzoo is having their ice show this weekend - Sat and Sunday. It was cancelled last year.
Reactions: mjh4
Last 2 years I believe. I've never stopped in during their previous shows. But I am planning on stopping in this year with a buddy.

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Reactions: bobberbill and mjh4
Right. 1st cancellation was from covid restrictions, and last year Randy said he didn't have enough staff to put the show on.
Jealous actually... I now live and fish the SW area of the state, but was at my camp in the western UP last week and had a buddy stop out who just got his 2 pike that morning on tip-ups. He had 3" of solid clear ice in his bay already. Lucky B-tard.
I hate to jinx it, but looks good the week before Christmas to make some ice down here. Of course that forecast will change 17 times between now and then.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
It's coming from da north soon, will be making ice with the temperatures throughout the state. I'm ready for some shanty time. Good luck and be SAFE.
Back in the 70s , it seems like our first outing was between Christmas and New Years. Hoping for that again

Splashed a boat yesterday for a sea trial and to make some adjustments to the trailer. That week before Christmas better be real serious about highs in the 20s.
Looking good for Kent County for fishing before Christmas...provided we dont get too much snow.

Product Rectangle Azure Font Line
It's coming from da north soon, will be making ice with the temperatures throughout the state. I'm ready for some shanty time. Good luck and be SAFE.
Oh yeah I used to spend new years day fishing st.clair.
Back in the 70s , it seems like our first outing was between Christmas and New Years. Hoping for that again

I agree, snow is the icefishermans worst enemy.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Looking good for Kent County for fishing before Christmas...provided we dont get too much snow.

View attachment 871861
Guys are starting to fish the NLP! It won’t be too long! Hoping to get on the ice somewhere on the SW corner of the state before going back to school after Christmas break! Getting excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
Rounded up all my gear for ice season, sure felt grrrreat holding it in my hands again! Hopefully the action this year is as strong as last, ice too. It’s getting cold, we’re getting close….with any luck there’s good ice just after Christmas?? That would be a gift.

I’m hopeful for day after Christmas. Wont go till the spud says it’s good but that’s my hope.
Temps just below freezing until real cold on Friday. Snow forecast on Friday. Will suck to get lots of snow on top of thin ice. Hoping the lake effect doesn’t go too far inland or the high winds in single digits blow the lakes clear. The channels I count on for early ice might be the worst places to try.
Saw that, fingers crossed the snow is light and minimal. Or as you mentioned, wind blows lakes clean. Good news is the nights are good and chipper, should keep ice building despite daytime highs hovering around freezing. Of course, this is all speculative until Mother Michigan shows us her hand in real time. I have 2 places I’ll go check next weekend which usual hold some good early ice. We shall see…..

Temps just below freezing until real cold on Friday. Snow forecast on Friday. Will suck to get lots of snow on top of thin ice. Hoping the lake effect doesn’t go too far inland or the high winds in single digits blow the lakes clear. The channels I count on for early ice might be the worst places to try.
Just got back from a trip down to Three Rivers area, not even the little holes were frozen over. Sugar Loaf in Portage was wide open, Long in Fabius Twp had a little shore slush. I don’t know that they’ll skim over before it snows at the end of the week.
Well, that’s both good news and bad news.
I guess personally I’d rather have the snow before the ice.
But if the snow turns out to be a flop….

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman
If it doesn’t snow and we get the single digits… it’ll be a great Christmas!
1 - 20 of 145 Posts