Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small plot that I planted in RYE last fall. It is now about 16 - 18 inches high and looks great. I know the deer won't feed on it much in the Summer but if I keep it mowed with my DR will it still be attractive and vibrant come October? Or should I kill it off and plant fresh RYE around Labor Day?

Thanks,

Buckman

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is what mine looks like. I'll let them go to seed then disc them under late summer and they grow again! I guess it all depends on if your going to plant that area with something else!

[/IMG]

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Agreed with the above - disking will prepare the seedbed and allow for natural regeneration, and you never know, you might get some natives that are advantageous coming up too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I forgot to mention that this little plot of rye was done like the way I mentioned above, no re-seeding was needed!

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
My last falls planting is at least 48" tall and I cant even see deer in it until they pop out the side.

Edit: Correction, I just went out there and its closer to 60" tall. There are actually some that are as tall as me at 5'10"

CB

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
There probably not going to eat it now, even if its mowed. They like the young tender plants. I would disc it under, its a great "green manure" You get the benefits of the decomposing plant, amd all the large root system. You could plant a clover mix the first of August, or grain seeds the first of September. Northjeff had a great idea, of spraying it, broadcasting clover seeds, and rolling over the seed. Creates a mulch for the seedlings.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, just so I understand. I'm a little slow today! If I'm going to plant Rye again in this plot and nothing else should I...

A. Periodically mow it over the summer and it should be fine come October or
B. Disk it under now and it will automatically come up again in the Fall?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I would say C. Disk it under and replant in August or September. If you disk it now you have time to plant buckwheat if you want.

With A- mow it, you will have old plants that grow too fast. The freshly planted rye will grow more slowly and stay tender longer.

With B- Let it seed out, you will "shock" your soil robbing it of nutrients.

Don't hesitate to correct me if I am wrong, but from my limited knowledge and planting rye for only 3-4 years this is what I do. Although this year I am leaving a few strips of rye for the turkeys and sandhill cranes because it is full of grasshoppers.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I will be discing mine in later and then planting Rape in the this same plot come fall.

CB

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
I was told if you are trying to build up your soil it's best to; not let your rye go to seed. When you let your rye go to seed it take stuff from the ground. I would broadcast some buck wheat in the rye and disk the rye or just coulpack it in. Then late July or early August plant WW again.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
codybear said:
My last falls planting is at least 48" tall and I cant even see deer in it until they pop out the side.

Edit: Correction, I just went out there and its closer to 60" tall. There are actually some that are as tall as me at 5'10"

CB
WOW! That'd be hard to disc in!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts