Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to get rid of my winter rye and get field ready for spring planting. In the past I've brush hogged the rye then hit it with round up. Am I ruinning the "green manure" effect? Will just discing do the trick with no round up?

·
Registered
882 Posts
You can just tear it up good and shouldn't need to hit it with Roundup so long as you thoroughly destroy the rye's roots.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
What are you planning on planting in that field this spring?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GrizzlyBear said:
What are you planning on planting in that field this spring?
It will be either roundup ready corn or brassicas. I have done a buckwheat and rye combo for spring and fall plantings for several years now just to build up the soil. But didn't know if I was defeating the purpose of the rye by mowing it then round-upping it in the spring before planting.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
If you're going to plant RR corn, you can just till it in, plant the corn and then spray periodically to control weeds. You won't need to spray prior to planting, because you'll be able to spray every 3-4 weeks or whenever weeds are visible.

If you're going to plant brassicas, I wouldn't put them in until late July/early August. And if that's the case, you could til in your rye now, and put Buckwheat down one last time this spring, disc in the BW in early July, and still get one spraying in prior to putting in your brassicas. That way, you'll get one final dose of green manure, and all the benefits of a brassicas planting through the fall.

How big is this field? and how's your deer density?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My dad and I have about 8 acres which only about 3 acres of it last year was put into rye. The largest food plot is about 3 acres which about 1.5 of that is rye and the rest is in smaller hunting plots. Our soil is somewhat sandy and over the past couple of years we have tried to build up the soil and ph. We are starting to get to the point where we can try new plantings besides BW and rye. Last year we did some corn and brassicas with good results. This year we hope to increase our usage of corn and brassicas because that is what seems to work the best for food to carry over into the early winter. The property is located near Big Rapids and the deer density is high and last year they made short work of all our plantings. Hopefully this year we can get more food to carry over into winter. By the way thanks for your suggestions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts