Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deer and Deer Hunting -- one the most reliable and information filled magazine on deer hunting that I know of has come out with their annual prediction of the "seeking, chase and breeding" dates.
The magazine has been doing this for 8 years and the last few years they have been "right on." with their predictions.
Well, this year they are predicting an awesome rut. Without any futher explanation, here are the dates:

NORTHERN REGION: (North of a line drawn east to west from the southern border of Virgina across the southern borders of KY, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Utah Nevada, and central California.)

Seeking Phase
Minor Oct. 7 to 14
Major Nov. 6 to 12

Chase Phase
Minor Oct. 15 to 21
Major Nov. 13 to 19

Primary Breeding Phase
Minor Oct. 22 to 28
Major Nov. 20 to 26

SOUTHERN REGION:

Seeking Phase
Minor Nov. 6 to 12
Major Dec. 4 to 11

Chase Phase
Minor Nov. 13 to 19
Major Dec. 12 to 17

Primary Breeding Phase
Minor Nov. 20 to 26
Major Dec. 18 to 26

·
Registered
226 Posts
freepop charles alsheimer andwayne laroche have been studying how the moon effects the rut for alot of years and over the last three or four years they have been just about right on the money it would be in everyones best intrest to use the dates they give within a day or two as a guideline to go by,
they know there stuff.
good luck this year everyone
jeff

·
Registered
26,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by buckslayermichigan
freepop charles alsheimer andwayne laroche have been studying how the moon effects the rut for alot of years and over the last three or four years they have been just about right on the money it would be in everyones best intrest to use the dates they give within a day or two as a guideline to go by,
they know there stuff.
good luck this year everyone
jeff
It's free information I provided for everyone to evaluate and use if they want to. I think that would be in everyone's best intrest. In addition, I have read many studies that dispute the moon effects on the rut.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
O.k. Here is a question for all you big buck hunters. I am taking my second vacation Nov. 8th through Nov 16, by the chart it is the tail end of the seeking phase and beginning of the chase phase. My plan is to hunt primary scrapes and rub lines if I find any on the property I am hunting. I also love to use my grunt call and doe in esterous "can" call that time of year. Does this sound like a good plan or is there something else I should be doing to take advantage of this time of year. To be honest I didn't know there was three phases of the rut. I would be interested in any other tips to help me out now knowing there is different stages of the rut. Thanks.

·
Registered
26,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Freestone
Hunt the Does and the bucks won't be far away.
Freestone, no truer words have been spoken :)

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
I second that!!!!! You find the does in early November and you will find the bucks!! Dont hunt rub lines, that is for early phase, and scrapes will mostly be abandoned for while during the chasing.

The best days to hunt are Oct 31 to Nov11

Just my 02

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
mich buckmaster, why those dates?

I think I understand whats going on during the different phases, but Oct 28 ends the minor breeding and the major seeking doesn't start until 6 Nov. Do you anticipate lots of deer movement and feeding prior (Oct 30 to 6 Nov) to the start of the major seeking phase?

How else do you guys use this info? All I can tell is, based on the dates, I'll either see the deer wondering past, running past, or "doin' it" in front of my stand. ;)

·
Registered
26,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Basically from my journal, I have had the best luck the frist two weeks of November, reguardless of what any other publications say. It does help if you have cool weather, so the deer feel like moving and eating, and it isn't raining hard, so you can stay on stand longer.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
I have a fairly good journal going of times and dates and have about 6 serious hunting guys that all do this. NOV 3,4, 5 has killed more bucks than ANY other date for MATURE bucks on a ten year look back.

Those dates that I stated are from personal experience. I also use the moon phase around those dates also.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Those are good dates mb. Morning or evening? My 20 year log tells me to sit all morning on those dates. Riverman

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Riverman, TO be honest it is real close to morning and evening. But the BIGGEST bucks came in the AM with more sightings in the AM also.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
I too believe that Charles has been extremely important to our sport. His research is very important and a great tool to use.

I plan my vacation days by that article.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts