Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pulled out my Rem. 870 yesterday and found some rust on the outside of the receiver. I broke the gun down and didn't find any on the inside of the action or barrel. What's the best way to get rid of it??

·
Registered
316 Posts
Rub the hey out of it with WD-40. There is a scrub pad that some gunsmiths have, I have used it and the rust was gone, but there was a small mark where the rust was. Its like steal wool made from nylon so it wont scratch or remove the bluing. Just dont scrub to hard..
Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Do NOT use WD-40 on a gun!!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Forgive me, I have been using WD40 for most of my hunting life and have never had any problems, even in below zero temps.
I have never had a rust problem and it worked even in rain. If there is something that I have missed please share with us.
To give bad advise is not something I would do intentionaly.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CMR / Keith,

As I read the posts in that link, it seems it would be good to use WD-40 on the receiver to remove the rust, then after wiping the WD-40 away, use a lube like Rem-oil to protect in the future?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had used WD-40 for about 20 years on all my guns however I started using Break Free instead and had fewer feed problems in Semii-autos. I did experience primer problems once on a 30 caliber M-1.......and I think it was because my Dad was using WD-40 when cleaning that rifle. Ok...the original poster just wants to get rust off the reciever and sttel wool with WD-40 will do the job but he must be careful not to rub to hard and use a very fine steel wool.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I have read the threads on the provided link; unfortunately, I feel most of them are bunk.

- Yes, WD-40 will deactivate primers.....so will Hoppes oil, Rem-oil, motor oil, and the natural oils from your fingers. Actually, you deserve to have your primers deactivated if 1.) you have your gun so sopped with oil that it can attach itself to the shell and 2.) you are dumb enough to leave a loaded round in the chamber long enough for the oil to seep in.

-ANY liquid lubricant (break free included) will attract dirt, powder residue, grime, dust, ect and gum up the action of a firearm over time. .22 rimfires are particularly more susceptable to this because in addition, there is usually a waxy lubricant on the outside of the bullet that helps gum up the works if allowed to build up.

-I would not use steel wool to remove rust; spray a little WD on an old cotton cloth and rub gently.....if it is just minor surface rust, it will come off.....if it is deep, the bluing unfortunately will come with it.

-If you are using a liquid lubricant and it freezes and stops your action, it is too cold to be outside anyway......take a clue from your gun, get indoors next to a nice fireplace, and read a good book.

-I have used WD-40 as a rust preventative and a lubricant for years; lately, for lubricants I have gone to the spray on silicon lubricants and have not been disappointed. I have also used powdered graphite for my semiautos in areas that I felt would be extremely dirty, such as the duck marsh. I still use WD as a rust preventative, but I feel that RIG products are superior to all.

I will add that do your best not get any oils/lurbricants on the wood......over time, it will soft the wood and cause it to crack.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree with the above poster that proper cleaning is a must but I don't like the tone he takes. People learn from experience and a good mentor. A good teacher never calls his "students" dummmies.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Whatever..........:rolleyes:

I never called anyone here a dummy. What I said is that if you are to dumb enough to leave a loaded gun around long enough to get oil from the gun into the primer, you deserve for it to become deactivated, i.e. don't be stupid and leave guns loaded when you are not shooting or hunting with them.

As for my "tone": don't read anything there that isn't there.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My family has always kept a loaded gun in the house. Well all guns are loaded and an unloaded gun is useless for defense. Hey...please don't attack me till I load up! Please! Ok I agree anyone that keeps and oil sopped gun loaded is an idiot. LOL Sorry if I ruffled your feathers. I think you are correct about using a soft cloth instead of steel wool too. I have carried most of my life on the job and off..some of us must keep a loaded gun ready. It is our lifestyle.

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
I can't find it anymore, have a bottle from "years ago" found it cleaned surface rust off the barrel/action. I use a small amount on a cotton (patch) cloth, I have never used steel wool. The "newer" stuff that Remington has now is called is "Bore Cleaner", don't know if its the same or not? A guy at Williams told me about another "newer" product Remington has. Its "Nitro CLP", It's a cleaner, lube and protectent all in one and supposed to be a good rust remover. Haven't seen it, so I haven't bought any to try, has anyone here? I carry a can of Wonder Oil, WD40 or Castrol Oil Field Cleaner (CLP) in the truck/van when afield to spray and wiper down the guns if they get wet/dirty before they get cased for the ride home.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Try Eezox. Cleans, lubes, protects. My buddy has a Beretta Onyx that rusts terribly at the slightest hint of moisture. Saturday in the duck blind, you could watch the rust grow. I gave him my Eezox and he cleaned it good that evening. No more rust the rest of the weekend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts