Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw MUCC Outdoors interview of Russ Mason tonight. What was anyone's take? I heard about what I expected.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I felt that he was pretty upfront and honest. He didn't beat around the bush. Kill allot of deer in a small area and heavily test every deer they can. What more can they really do?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Prions in the soil come up inside plants? Did I hear that right?

·
Banned
5,734 Posts
Prions in the soil come up inside plants? Did I hear that right?
Yes.
There's a study out there that shows prions can be brought right back up into the plant and its vegetation , to the surface and I believe a wheat strain was used in the study.
There's a land fill study out of Wisconsin showing that tilling could, might, maybe put those prions out of reach.
I personally want to wait for the study on tubers which root systems go deep and are nutrient miners before saying you can till prions out of harms way.

·
Administrator
17,595 Posts
Saw MUCC Outdoors interview of Russ Mason tonight. What was anyone's take? I heard about what I expected.
I thought his plan made sense and was pretty reassuring. I may be mistaken (feel free to correct me if I misquote), but his plan went something like -
1)Utilizing sharp shooters around a 2 mile radius of the index case with extensive testing for CWD.
2)Extending the radius out to ten miles around the index case to incorporate; a. Lower license fees, b. decreased limitations on buck harvest, c. increased testing, d. immediate availability of population control permits (that two individuals have utilized so far), e. unlimited OTC doe permits.

EDIT - I almost forgot - he said that CWD testing results should be available within 3 or 4 days (after you submit a deer).

He also said that if/when addition cases are found - circles will be re-drawn. So, hold onto your hats and cross your fingers.
<----<<<

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
I thought his plan made sense and was pretty reassuring. I may be mistaken (feel free to correct me if I misquote), but his plan went something like -
1)Utilizing sharp shooters around a 2 mile radius of the index case with extensive testing for CWD.
2)Extending the radius out to ten miles around the index case to incorporate; a. Lower license fees, b. decreased limitations on buck harvest, c. increased testing, d. immediate availability of population control permits (that two individuals have utilized so far), e. unlimited OTC doe permits.

EDIT - I almost forgot - he said that CWD testing results should be available within 3 or 4 days (after you submit a deer).

He also said that if/when addition cases are found - circles will be re-drawn. So, hold onto your hats and cross your fingers.
<----<<<
That's about the sum of it.

·
Premium Member
12,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

<----<<<
I got the same thing you did out of the interview. I wonder if more people will be stepping up for permits?

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
<----<<<[/QUOTE]

Thats the part that scares me the most, well that and it might some day jump species to humans and turn into the worst pandemic man has ever seen.

Think about it a disease that is in the soil that plants can introduce into the human food chain and to other animals. I mean guys are all ready injecting possibly infected antler velvet into themselves. :dizzy:

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if the farm chemicals can kill good bacteria in the soil that allow these prions to become so resistant and aggressive?

·
Registered
18,972 Posts
I appreciated seeing the interview.
Did not note the one question that came to mind watching and of course forgot it but other than that Russ seemed to have a good understanding of multiple factors involved and a planned logistic going forward.
Good interview.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts