Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK all you walkers, runners, and joggers, I figured you guys would have a little insight for my instep.:)

I've been walking/running 4-6 miles, 6 days a week. I had a short battle with shin splints that have now returned so I'm going to rest until they subside again. I'm switching to trail running since I think the cement is the main culprit and it's time to replace my shoes.

Any suggestions on trail shoes for those of you that have dealt with shin splints? I have high arches and I know that factors in. I will be running on light trails, nothing rugged. I'd really like to kick it up to 6-8 a day but need to get the right equipment first. So many, many, choices! I was looking at some of the vasque trail shoes but they looked kinda stiff. Maybe I just need a really good running shoe? Any suggestions would be great!

·
Premium Member
9,775 Posts
I have high arches as well and always found Reeboks to be the best for that. But then again the only running I do is to the bathroom.

·
Administrator
35,866 Posts
Good for you Sarah. I have to keep that exercise up too but I never do enough. I did run 2.5 miles last night though.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I've tried several different brands over the past couple years.
Best I found for comfort, weight, traction in wet conditions, and durability are the offerings from Asics and Avia.

For more of a cross-trainer, you might want to look at New Balance.

·
Super Moderator
7,371 Posts
My Dad has done marathons and ran avidly before some more recent health complications. He always swore by New Balance.

·
Premium Member
12,899 Posts
My daughter runs about 80 miles a week and she said she would suggest asic 2100(old model) or 2110(new model). She said it will depend somewhat on the person but these are the most popular with the college runners she knows.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everone. I ended up trying on about 20 pairs and ended up with a pair of Avia's. They are light, very flexible, and have great arch support. The New Balance were nice but didn't flex enough for comfort.

I'm still going to try and check out the asics. They didn't have that model shoe where I was shopping but I wouldn't mind having a couple of pairs of good running shoes, especially if it's a pair suggested by plugger's daughter! We all know that girl can run!!!

I took last weekend off and so far, so good. No shin splints.

Gunrod, thanks for the laugh. You must put on some miles, lol.

Steve, thanks for the encouraging words. It sounds as if you're doing quite well yourself. I think I'm finally to the point that I could call this a habit!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Mizuno is a good choice for one with high arches. Your shin splints are probably due to worn out shoes, switch them out approximately every 400 miles if they look worn or not. At the rate that you run you should be switching out your shoes about every three months. For top of the line Mizuno's it will cost you about $120.00 a pair or $500.00 a year, small price to pay for excellent health and a nice tight butt.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Congrats on the Avia's.
They don't seem to be as popular as the Nike's and Asics but I've had several pair and can't complain about 'em at all. I can usually find 'em on the sale racks at Dunhams too.
My wife got her first pair of Ascis last spring. She couldn't believe the difference between her usual cheap tennis shoes and a good pair of running shoes. I think she's sold on 'em now.

Put some miles behind you and keep us posted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The best running shoes are the ones that work for you. I prefer Asics and New Balance but that's my prefernce. Good exercises for shin splints are calf stretches and heel walking (with your toes off the ground). Also, if you do have high arches you should buy aftermarket insoles. I always use aftermarket insoles in my running shoes because the ones that come in the shoes are designed to cover the stitching and that's about it. Good Luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts