Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried this for turkeys? A friend of mine was asking if I wanted to do it this spring. Maybe Missouri, ILL, IN . and work our way back home. Or maybe Kentucky, Tennesse, Indiana. Not sure what states to hit, or how the seasons work out. Maybe a 10 day trip? I know that allot of you spend time out of state, but how many states can we reasonably hunt in ten days with any success?
Any suggestions?

We were going to try a western Merriam hunt this spring, but that got put off.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Before you make any solid plans for such a hunt, I would check with those states for their seasons and limitations to out of state hunters-Indiana, for instance, still has a very limited hunt open mostly only to residents, I'm pretty sure. Very little public land compared to Michigan, same for Illinois.

Kentucky and Tennessee, although both states have pretty good turkey numbers, doesn't have a lot of public land with birds, either. Eastern Tennessee would be your best bet for public land, but most of TN's birds are on private lands in the south-central part of the state, near Nashville. Kentucky has good numbers around Mammoth Cave National Park, but you can't hunt there, either.

I think, if you wanted to make sure you had decent weather and wanted to put some excitement into it by hunting three separate species, I would try Missouri for Easterns(late April opener, open to non-residents), Kansas (mid-April opener, open to non-residents, possibility of three species right there, Rios, hybrids, and Easterns, and either Colorado or Wyoming for Merriams-both are open to non-residents I believe, I think both have early May openers. Not sure how many Merriams Colorado has, you might have to head for Wyoming. I know Colorado has good numbers of Rios.

Personally, although I've hunted a number of other states, I've never done a combo, multi-state hunt. Not enough money or time.

A lot of southern hunters regularly do Florida, Georgia or Alabama, and Texas for combo hunts. Early seasons, but not a lot of public land and a real possibility of lots of snakes.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
In addition to MI, I have hunted in KY, IN, and WI.

A few years ago I went down to KY (mid-April), then hunted IN, and came home to MI to hunt. Headed to WI later in the spring. When I did this the KY season opened about a week before the IN season. I went down and hunted KY sat-tues and then hunted IN wed-sun (IN opens on Wed for some reason). WI has 5 or 6 5-day seasons that run Wed-Sun. I hunted one of the later seasons here (mid-May).

KY and IN are over the counter licenses and WI requires an application. I hunted private land in each of these states. If IN interests you, look into the Hoosier National forest in southern IN--it is very large and I know guys that have had good success here.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts