Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the rules, if any, for keeping a few quail for dog training. I know game bird breeders need a license as do shooting preserves, but if I want to buy 3 or 4 quail to keep for training purposes for a week or so, what am I obligated to do? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
As long as they are non-native...I don't know of any rules.

I buy birds nearly every week from March thru August and have never done anything special.

Perhaps there might be a local ordinance against your keeping birds at your place?? Beyond that I think you should be fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Non-native = Tennessee Red quail. Not the Bobwhites that are (barley) found in Michigan. You could purchase, release and shoot Bobwhites during their normal open season (same goes for Ringnecks or any Michigan game bird).

Other than that you stick with birds that don't have a season in Michigan. Tennessee Red Quail, Chuckar, Hungarian Partridge are available and some type of Pheasant (Green maybe, don't remember). When you buy them the breeder will give you a tag just hold on to that. Pigeons are also a good cheap way to go.

You can do this on any land except no running dogs on state land April 15-July 15 and it shuts down for rifle deer I think. During that time I think you need to find designated dog training areas like field trial grounds or private trainers with a little land often get property certified.

Garden City, you are real close to Highland Recreation and 2 nice dog training areas. Hook up with SE MI NAVHDA.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
You will run into issues by keeping more than 12 I believe. I buy birds regularly and on occasion a seller will ask if I am going to use up all of them right away. I think there may be a breeders permit required if keeping a lot of birds but that may just be native birds.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Unless you have a whole dang barn full and its clear that you are training and not breeding it think it would be hard to find any one to object to having birds. I had been buying 4-6 at a time and taking a week or more to use them all up depending on the dog.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts