Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder who those musky guys were that I double-saluted yesterday. Just because your boat is bigger than mine doesn't mean you can cut in front of me when I have the right of way. You could have easily run over my wake, as you should have, instead of making us come to almost a complete stop to maneuver over your wake.

A boat on your right hand side, in front of you, has the right of way. You're supposed to go behind that boat.

Take a boating course dummy.

·
Super Moderator
27,427 Posts
Thats why all should have a boating course before driving a boat.

You just don't know who know the rules and who don't. Guess you have to assume that they don't.

·
Registered
490 Posts
That's why they make flare guns and 8oz bell sinkers.:evilsmile Just kidding.;)
Mark

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Sometimes it just amazes me how many boaters are out there that just don't have a clue!!!:rant: That must be the reason I don't carry a flare gun....I'd be too tempted to use it!!

·
Super Moderator
10,178 Posts
I hope I didn't spill your diet Coke! :p :lol: ;) Seriously, I won't change course for those guys till they they are starting to get very concerned. My wife hates it when I do that. Some guys just don't have a clue.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used to be like you when I had my 32 footer. I'm not playing chicken with an 18 footer:yikes:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sunday morning, near 9 mile 400 yards off shore, the boat coming from the canals a little north of the coast guard station, a guy drove straight at me for like a 1/2 mile and had to come within 30 feet of me. You remenber, you didn,t look at me on purpose because you where dead wrong for driving like that. I have to tell you, he almost got a free coke (that,s all I could find). I hope he reads this because your turn will come my friend, and when it does and when your praying for the lord above to help you, he,s going to look down and say, once an ahole always an ahole.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I need to add, I sure hope it was nobody who posts from this site. If it was, I will rat you out like a parrokeet. It was unneccessary and again your turn will come.

Yes, I'm P.Oed, it was uncalled for and STUPID....

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I find, the later in the year the better boaters are left in the lake. Wait until there is morning frost on the Windows Most of the bigger weekender boats will be tucked away. Just keep in mind for every goofball that has no idea of the boating rules there are 100''s that do and that make it a point to* avoid swamping little boats. Mike How many fish??

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Huh.... must be perchin time. So many people come out of hiebrination (sp). Hello old friend, it's good to hear from you again. (Erice Clapton 1976)

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I too find that the later in the season, the better. Seems all that is left are fishermen. You get rid of the "boaters".

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good to see you back on the board Ed.

We took four dozen large minnows from Lakeside but only came back with a dozen fish. And we used up all the minnows. The little males are lining up waiting for the big females already. The dozen we kept were pretty nice. The garbage fish (smallmouths) are still in there scaring all the perch.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Just out of curiousity, let's say it's caught of tape. Can the captain of a large boat that comes dangerously close to a small boat and swamps it and later finds out someone has drowned because of his actions,be prosecuted for some type of crime? Seems to me it's just the same of running someone off the road causing a fatality.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Buy a bigger boat Mike.....:yikes::hide: Funny, things like that NEVER happen to me......:lol::lol: Good to hear from ya Ed......I miss the insight......;)

Mushy

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome back. looking forward to spending time here again. Hopefully with some fishing reports:).

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Good to see ya back again Ed......... Al :chillin:

·
Super Moderator
27,427 Posts
Just out of curiousity, let's say it's caught of tape. Can the captain of a large boat that comes dangerously close to a small boat and swamps it and later finds out someone has drowned because of his actions,be prosecuted for some type of crime? Seems to me it's just the same of running someone off the road causing a fatality.
Yes they can. You are responsible for your own wake and actions.

Crime--negligent boating (driving)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes they can. You are responsible for your own wake and actions.

Crime--negligent boating (driving)
I've had the same kind of thing happen a couple times - some butthead with a 40-footer comes tearing past within pissing distance.

Question: Does someone have to be injured in order for the idiot to get charged or will a video of reckless driving suffice? I might just start bringing a camcorder with me out there. :mad:

·
Super Moderator
27,427 Posts
I've had the same kind of thing happen a couple times - some butthead with a 40-footer comes tearing past within pissing distance.

Question: Does someone have to be injured in order for the idiot to get charged or will a video of reckless driving suffice? I might just start bringing a camcorder with me out there. :mad:
A video camera that also catches the MC # would be ideal. Probably would need some other reference (distance) than just the camera. You can't just zoom in on someone 200ft away and say that they were 50ft from you. Reference, another boat, a bouy, something else to show actually how close they did come.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Our decoy spread was wiped out last year off 9 mile last year by a perch boat coming out of the marina. It is the moving vessels responsibility but if you're anchored out there, keep your heads up. Driving into that sun can be blinding.

I can say that I've come up on some guys and got a little too close once or twice due to that sun.:sad:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts