Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying a Ruger M77 International. I am trying to decide whether it should be chambered in .308 or .270. Does the fact that this rifle only has an 18" barrel make it more suited for the .308 cartridge.

Any recomendations? I plan to use this rifle for Michigan deer hunting with shots at 150 yards or less.

·
Premium Member
5,605 Posts
I would think the .308 makes the most sense. Either will have sufficient velocity for your stated needs but the .308 allows for a shorter more compact action which compliments that rifle IMO. I've always thought that combo of cartridge and rifle would make a dandy whitetail rig. Have fun.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
I'd get the .308. I have a .308 in a 18.5" carbine and it is very accurate. I do waste powder though as she's a flame thrower, especially with hot loads/slower burning powders. The .270 would be too! It's a deer killin' machine though. Both are great calibers, I like both a lot but in that gun, the .308 would get the nod. (7x57 would be my first choice in that gun...classic caliber to go with the classic looks). Enjoy that International....nice guns!

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
Skip the Ruger and get a CZ-550 mannlicher in 6.5 x 55 Swede. This would make a great whitetail rifle and there is just something appropriate about mannlicher stocked rifles being in European calibers. ;)

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
.308 is short action, easier and quicker to cycle the bolt vs. the 30/06 derived long action .270.

At 150 yards there is no issue with trajectory or velocity of either caliber but with the short bbl the .308 wins hands down.

In general I think the .308 is a far more versatile choice, perfect in a 18" carbine.

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
i had a ruger77 model in 25-06..it was a sweet.gun i bought a 308 auto and used it for years on deer an had good results.
now i have a browning A-Bolt in 270 WSM and it is awesome on deer 150 yards are just a chip shot with that gun.and the federal premium 150 grain do the job.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts