Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a deal on a nikon buckmaster 3-9 x40 for the 77/44 but when I mounted it on the gun (after removing the dove tail rear sight) it barely touches the barrel with the 40mm objective. My question is will this effect accuracy after the barrel heats up because of the close proximity of scope to barrel? Is my only solution a 32mm objective?

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I would change you rings to a tall or extra tall. It is not a good idea to have the scope touch the barrel, it may cause accuracy problems, break the objectives and it will mar the barrel.

·
Registered
18,931 Posts
Taller rings . They come in various heights.
Closest to the rifle's bore is best but it definitely needs to clear the barrel.
Besides you will want to be able to wipe under it sometimes.
You will like that scope I'll bet...
Mines not in sight close by to give details but it is a very nice piece with great clear effectiveness compared to others I've used..

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
Most rings come in low, medium and high so, if you have, say, low rings, just go the next size up, looking for somewhere in the area of 3/16" clearance or more.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Ruger provides integral rings with their bolt rifles, unlike other brands. They mount a bit differently.
Might be easier just to change scopes. Scope touching the barrel, is no good.

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
Ruger list 4 heights of their scope rings for the 77/44 ... low, medium, high and X-high. Their suggestion for a scope with up to a 42MM objective is the medium height (#4B 90270 for both front & back).

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I mounted a 40MM Leupold on my 77/44 with the stock Ruger rings that came with the rifle. Gave me roughly 3/8" clearance which I feel is plenty, and was able to just fold the dovetail down without a problem. Wonder if my rifle shipped with different rings than yours?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the gun used so no rings. I found some medium rings for $68 online so lets hope they work. The 2 previous sets I tried were leftover from other Rugers we have.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts