Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just signed up as a member today. Just wondered if anyone else belongs and or participates with this group. Thanks Jeff

·
Registered
625 Posts
Steelheadfred said:
YES and YES.

I am a member of the Grand Traverse Chapter, and sit as a board member.

We have a big meeting with all the chapters this Saturday.
Is this for any members or board people only?

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I'm a member, but not active in a chapter at this time.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
I use to be a member for 10 years. I was on the board of directors and the banquiet commitee of our chapter but I lost my faith in RGS so I'm no longer a member any more.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Worm Dunker said:
I use to be a member for 10 years. I was on the board of directors and the banquiet commitee of our chapter but I lost my faith in RGS so I'm no longer a member any more.
WD,

Please explain...what made you lose faith in RGS? Just curious.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
We all join these groups for different reason some I think just to put a RGS sticker on the back window of their SUV so it looks good at the local skeet range. While others of us try get involved to help the type of hunting we injoy. When your on your chapters board of directors you see and hear things a lot of most don't and from what I was seeing and was told I decided that I would no longer support them. I did see/hear they did have another shake up at corprate head quarters who knows maybe they will start doing some of the thing that they use to and why I origanial joined for. This being a public form I'm trying to put it the best way I can. Some here may still believe in Santa Claus and I don't want to flame anybody that does. I due miss my local chapter guys most were great guys. I due miss my chapter events but till corprate change where and how they spend the money the local clubs make sorry I will not support them anymore.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I've been a member for a long time. The RGS remains a strong voice for enlightened forest resources management, at the state and national level. They do a lot of good things for wildlife management, both in Michigan and nationally. They also often partner with other Conservation Organisations such as the NWTF to support initiatives important to all sportsmen.

If you are a grouse hunter, I think you need to support the RGS.

Natty B.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've been a member six or seven years. I'm not active in mothly meetings. I've been to a few banquets in Ann Arbor and Warren. I just hope the do something good with the few dollars I give them.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I'm a member and have just recently started to help with the banquent committe.

·
Registered
625 Posts
NATTY BUMPO said:
I've been a member for a long time. The RGS remains a strong voice for enlightened forest resources management, at the state and national level. They do a lot of good things for wildlife management, both in Michigan and nationally. They also often partner with other Conservation Organisations such as the NWTF to support initiatives important to all sportsmen.

If you are a grouse hunter, I think you need to support the RGS.

Natty B.
Hey NB,

Seeing that you're up here in TC you might know this. Is there any involvement here of local members with the GT Chapter? Are you working with RGS in anyway as in habitat improvement, meetings, etc.? I joined awhile back and would like to like to do something I just don't who to contact or go through.

Thanks- Jeff

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Colehatch - See Fritz's post on this thread. I'd think that would be the best place to start.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
colehatch said:
Is this for any members or board people only?
That meeting is for board members, basically give an update from the biologists, and discuss projects the different chapters do and such. I beleive they needed an RSVP to attend this one. I can't remember because a couple other board members are supposed to go, I have my boys birthday party on Saturday.

·
Registered
625 Posts
HarleyP said:
Colehatch - See Fritz's post on this thread. I'd think that would be the best place to start.
Got it...I PM'ed Fred earlier and I'll hear from him I just thought I'd throw a message out there in case anyone else had any input Thanks- I'll wait to hear back from him.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Bird Dog 1 said:
Do you know if there are chapters located in Southeast Lower Michigan?
I am the chairman of the Ann Arbor Chapter. Might be a bit of a drive, but you are welcome to join us any time. We are currently preparing for a May banquet. PM me if you want to be added to my Ann Arbor Chapter email list.

I am not going to argue with WD about the effectiveness of RGS it has been hashed through and through and a search can give you the details. My suggestion is come to a few meetings and ask questions. Decide for yourself.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
colehatch said:
Hey NB,

Seeing that you're up here in TC you might know this. Is there any involvement here of local members with the GT Chapter? Are you working with RGS in anyway as in habitat improvement, meetings, etc.? I joined awhile back and would like to like to do something I just don't who to contact or go through.

Thanks- Jeff
Yup, Steelheadfred (Fritz) is the guy to touch base with. He's very active in the local Chapter's affairs and can answer those questions. I know he was the one who attended the local meetings re DNR forest management plans for the future. Several of us on here sent letters and emails to the DNR re that effort.

If there were local habitat projects tho, I'd be glad to help out on them.

NB

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I send my $15.00 a year
If they ever start to operate like PF maybe I'll become a bigger sponsor or get more involved.

Wally

1 - 20 of 61 Posts