Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just gotta vent. Went out about a mile on one of my favorite area lakes to get away from the crowds and enjoy a lil peace and quiet, passing literally dozens of shanties huddled together close to shore. Cut a few holes to mark fish, set a tip-up and finally set up shop. Within a matter of minutes I had at least 6 sleds and/or quads pulling in around me with guys asking me if I fish here often, What bait, lures and do i do any good etc.... Like I knew something they didn't. Oh and If they see you using electronics they assume you're on the fish and will join you like flies on ****, rather than doing their own scouting. Within minutes there were a few power augers making Swiss cheese of the surrounding ice(sounding like a chainsaw convention) and it looked like shanty city(within spitting distance of me) complete with loud profanity, beer cans a flyin, radios blarin and cigarette butts being flicked in all directions. Not fun and not the first time either. This has happened on several different lakes. Needless to say I packed up and left. Bout ready to sell everything and fall back on the memories of how it used to be.... Everyone deserves a lil space people.

Oh and thanks for lending an ear.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Can you post pictures of you stuff?

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
:lol:

I don't want to see your stuff.

What you experienced is kind of rude..it's also pretty common.

Maybe not the music or beer cans flying around but getting the company you sure is.
There isn't much you can do about it.
I'm stuck fishing weekends mostly..everybody thinks the other guy knows something they don't and they don't want to miss out on guess.
If you go far away from everyone else, they think you have a hot spot.
The only way away from it is to try and fish week days I guess, even then no guarantee.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Pretty much the same thing happened to me yesterday i was on fish and a buddy came out to join me alot of people fishing this general area but noone within 100yds of us as i was getting ready to pack up I had a group of guys drill holes within 5 ft of my shanty i just asked em if they wanted to get in and warm up and about 5 minutes later they moved on lol.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Yeah if they had any class they'd just say "Hi" mark the spot on their GPS and come back and fish later when you weren't there. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :)

It's getting harder to find new fishing spots now that most people have quit smoking, used to be ya could just look for holes with lots of cigarette butts around 'em. :D

j/k

If I wanna fish near someone I'll generally ask if it's OK and then give 'em plenty of elbow room, unless invited to join them. Hate loud music and partying on the ice. Use earphones or go to the bar.

All bets off if I gotta fish in or near the pack "War Zone" I chose to fish there so I gotta put up with the others bad habits or not, but common courtesy is still part of most ice-fishermen's routine.

·
Banned
1,314 Posts
What about when your sitting by yourself and sleds run past, going between you and your tip up? What if your tip up is only 20ft away?

Then you cuss them out and they act like they and their 2 bed buddies want to fight you wearing a helmet

Makes me want to leave big open spearing holes unmarked...

<*)))>{

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just ventin. Have no intentions of selling off anything. I'm just expressing my great displeasure for the behavior of a few individuals. I have spent over half my life studying, researching, spending, upgrading, mapping, etc... And have always tried, to the best of my ability, to be respectful and helpful to the guys around me and of Mother nature also. There is no room for disrespect and/or littering. If it weren't for the many doctors, judges, lawyers, medicine men, money and police that have ensured that I've changed my ways over the years, this could have gotten real ugly, real quick. Just sayin.... Be nice, be respectful, be mindful of others "Space" and, last but not least, have a good time and clean up after yourselves.
God Bless and Good Day

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What about when your sitting by yourself and sleds run past, going between you and your tip up? What if your tip up is only 20ft away?

Then you cuss them out and they act like they and their 2 bed buddies want to fight you wearing a helmet

Makes me want to leave big open spearing holes unmarked...

<*)))>{
These folks could have been new to the sport, new to sledding, not paying attention, blind, stupid, ignorant, crazy, all the above. Who knows ?? But, Cussing em out and not expecting a response ??? Good luck with that. As for leaving big open spearing holes. Well, Let's just say, Not a good idea.
Peace.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
well i have been around awhile doing this sport and many others and have seen my share if disrespect in one form or another.. used to fish with a small group there was 4 of us and it got so folks would watch us and setup where we did.. spearing or jigging eyes.. we finally set out decoy shantys and fished as far from the closet public access we could.. also week days are better than warm wknds any time for the lack of newbies or disrespectful folk

·
Registered
293 Posts
Happened to me this morning. The beauty is that I heard them all pack up and leave just happy the wind wasn't in their face. They left and I subsequently iced 3 lakers. Even the fish waited em out. Ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
343 Posts
I know the feeling my wife and I were at the day sail guys drinking on the ice yelling every other word was f that !:rant:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Tell them your looking at starting a homosexual ice team and it's nice and warm in your shanty. Kidding. I hear you though, respect is a dying thing.

·
Registered
20,899 Posts
Happened to me this morning. The beauty is that I heard them all pack up and leave just happy the wind wasn't in their face. They left and I subsequently iced 3 lakers. Even the fish waited em out. Ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

Looked pretty busy on the north end. Not many down here in the fish desert !

·
Registered
190 Posts
I don't even think about fishing and thus showing my little honey hole on a weekend as it is only a 20 x 20 foot weed bed and will not take much pressure. Yesterday there were 26 guys pounding a nearby bed that is about 200 by 20 feet. Weekends are search time or join the party pack for me. I love being retired.:lol:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Asking other fishermen questions is how I learn things. I don't understand why some people are rude when I do. If you see me out there, ask me how it's going, I'll be glad to help.

Now plopping down a shanty and drilling holes right next to you is another thing. But you know the old saying, "the fish must be biting over there!".

·
Registered
392 Posts
The issue is there are almost no real fishermen left. Instead it is a new breed that don't know how to find fish and catch them. They drop right in on you. Doesn't matter if you are ice fishing or boat fishing. They expect you to do all but bait their hook for them. I don't mind teaching and helping others and have taught several fishing classes over the years, but courtesy and eticate is disturbingly absent. Most of the time a guy by himself on the ice wants some peace and solitude. Please respect that, give him some space and let him enjoy his day.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
yeah it sort of sucks, heres what you do , buy 4-5 cheap shanties on Cl, put them 300 yds away, and every dork that comes off the landing site , will scan the lake, and head over there! yeah , I know knobody would do this, but it would make a funny vid, just to see how many did it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts