Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been bass fishing for a long time, i just have never really used rubber worms/baits very much. Whenever i use them i always have troubles. If I use a spinning reel my line always gets twisted and tangles on the spool. When using a baitcaster my line backlashes. Please help!! I am determined to catch fish using worms this year so anyone got advice?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
The twist is absoutlyyyy impossible to avoid. You can run swivles but then that blows the sensitivty completly. As for your baitcaster. Hold the rod horzontaly, loosen your spool nut till the bait slowly rolls line off your reel. that should help some with your backlashing problems.

The line twist can be removed by slow trolling without any lure on the line. I let out halfish of my spool and drive aroudn the lake slowly to help untwist the line.

Hope this helps ya some

·
Registered
564 Posts
Try not filling your spinning reel too much thats where your problem might occur. I think the baitcaster is better for cranks, spinnerbaits, rattle traps but i needed plenty of practice, and my go to rubber baits is the smoke colored yamamoto grub and, if you can find it, cotton candy colored kalins 4" grub. Both were always very productive for me.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
if you're getting line twist you need rig the worm on "more straighter". If it has a seam on it the hook should go in the nose dead center and come out the seam... when you hook it back through, it should go back through the seam again. the worm shoul be straight on the hook also.

putting a barrel swivel 2-3' up the line helps too. Try a carolina or texas rig to start out with, a 1/4" oz weight is good for shallow water, a 3/8-1/2 oz for deeper. I'd use a 1/2 - 3/4oz for a carolina rig.

·
Registered
402 Posts
soak your spool of line in hot water before putting the line on your reel this will help with the twisting when filling your spool. As far as fishing with soft plastics.. The best advice anyone ever gave me was to fish SLOOOOOW!
Good luck.

·
Registered
137 Posts
For your baitcasting reel... the advice to adjust the reel so that the bait just slowly falls when you put it in free spool is great advice. Also, try to make the cast like you are lobbing the bait over a fence.

·
Registered
55 Posts
How did u guys learn to use soft plastics? From friends? or is there special seminars where u can go where they teach u, at bass pro shop or something? or is it just easy to do and Im stupid?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Nick101011 said:
How did u guys learn to use soft plastics? From friends? or is there special seminars where u can go where they teach u, at bass pro shop or something? or is it just easy to do and Im stupid?
It's like all other fishing techniques. A seminar won't do anything unless you get on the water and practice. It's tough to get it down.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Nick101011 said:
I learned Soft's fishing in Florida for 10 years. Left most of my tackle up here when I moved.

The best way I found to teach myself to use them was to only to take out a few bags of worms or jerkbaits or frogs. That way I didn't get bored and switch to baits that I was more comfortable with. I basicly forced myself into a day's repitition and slowly picked up the whole "idea " of fishing with plastics.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts