Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like I am going to have a lot of corn left on the stalks by spring. Three acres was more corn than the deer could handle. When I work the ground, I am going to have a lot of this corn sprouting. Does anyone know if that corn will be tolerant of roundup?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Bishs It will be just like the RR you planted only more of it. There are some herbicides you can spray to take it out of a soybean crop and not hurt the soys.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, thats what I wanted to know. If there is too much left, I can get a friend to harvest it with a combine. I was surprised this morning there were 18 deer out there! Maybe they will take care of it.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Bishs:

Having some corn left standing after winter is a blessing in disguise. Deer need an energy food year round. It is energy that feeds the billions of microbes necessary in the digestives system that convert the high protein forage (clover) into useable nutrients, that grow healthy deer (antlers are 90% protein in the velvet stage). Bishs try to save as much of the existing standing corn as you can. You may want to look at the field and note that the deer ate the edges completely out and left the middle for last. I try to plant enough corn to last through the spring and hopefully into the summer. Deer will eat corn 365 days a year and no need to worry about them eating too much corn during the summer. They know what their system needs.

Corn is 90% digestible and one of the best energy foods there is. Sugar beets at 20% sugar content is 95% digestible and is considered by many deer nutrient experts as the top of the line in energy forage. Some uninformed individuals say it is garbage in the woods. It can be used wrongly as a giant winter feeding pile but planted as a food plot I believe is a correct move. Maybe next year, should be no more than two ,we may be able to purchase roundup ready sugar beets. They need good loamy soil.

Keep the fun in hunting!

Ed Spin

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Ed,
Sugar beets are grown in my area, they shouldn't be a problem. When RR sugar beets come out, I will try them.

Left over corn may not be a problem. The last few days the "snow melt" has really made the deer travel. I am seeing up to 30 deer in my field the last two days. The snow has opened up my clover field and they are spending hours out there also.

If only the turkeys could figure it out. There is a flock of 80 turkeys a mile away. They have been scratching through all that snow to get corn in a harvested corn field. For some reason they don't winter in the woods around me. They are wintering in an large wooded area full of large oaks, and a river. I am keeping an eye out, soon the hens will be breaking up and the gobblers wil follow them out. It will be interesting to see how well the corn draw them out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts