Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Just trying to see what any of you think about round reels compared to low profile baitcasters for floating steelhead/salmon. I currently use a Quantum PT smoke coupled with a Okuma sst 10'6". As far as performance goes with the reel, its great. Not many bird nests, except for on long casts. No matter how much i tune the reel, you just cant get that extra edge on distance without over spooling even a little bit. I also was a bit worried about burning out my drag system since steelhead/salmon tend to make strong runs. SO, I have been looking at reviews on certain round reels, and many of the floaters say its the way to go. I especially am interested in the Shimano Clacutta, but just wanted to see if anyone on here uses that reel for this particular fishing style, or if anyone could recommend a better solution. DONT say spinning reel haha, i have both, but prefer the free spool that the casting reels offer ;). thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I personally prefer the round reels over the low pro "bass" reels.

I've never used the reel you mentioned but have heard good things about it. I got a couple Abu's that I use.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I had a Shimano Calcutta and it sucked for float fishing. I didn't care for tearing the reel apart to adjust the magnets. I think the upper end Shimanos come with it on a dial.
I will add that I was just starting to use a bait caster for float fishing, and not very efficient at using one to say the least. Your results may vary.
Good luck.
J

·
Retired
3,347 Posts
Tried a round reel for awhile but couldn't get it dialed in.

Switched to a low pro and found it easier to dial in. It's simply a choice.

Low pro's tend to be lighter than a round reel, which should be taken into consideration.

·
Mr. Flatfish
7,736 Posts
I have and use both styles and feel that you get what you pay for as to ease and quality of operation and the ability to "dial" in the reel for most efficient use. Being more of a traditionalist, the round style just looks and feels right for me most of the time...

Agree on the ability to freespool with a simple push of the button....

Reactions: steelbakk

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a Shimano Calcutta and it sucked for float fishing. I didn't care for tearing the reel apart to adjust the magnets. I think the upper end Shimanos come with it on a dial.
I will add that I was just starting to use a bait caster for float fishing, and not very efficient at using one to say the least. Your results may vary.
Good luck.
J
I was reading some of the specifications on the Calcutta B series and i beleive they changed the brake system to the VBS wich i think stands for variable brake system. VBS uses centrifugal force rather than magnets to aid in controlling the cast. I believe this allows for a smoother cast and reduces the "birdnest" effect on the longer distance casts. Just out of curiosity were you using a lower end version of the calcutta? thanks for the input guys.

·
Retired
3,347 Posts
Even though it uses the VBS, same as a Citicia or Curado, access to the pins are a bitch, IMO.

Watched as J had it torn apart for the better part of 10 minutes, all while I continued to drift bobs.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Even though it uses the VBS, same as a Citicia or Curado, access to the pins are a bitch, IMO.

Watched as J had it torn apart for the better part of 10 minutes, all while I continued to drift bobs.
Why must you continually bask in my misery? :lol::lol::lol:

·
Retired
3,347 Posts
Why must you continually revel in my misery? :lol::lol::lol:
I can't help myself.

For the record, I use an Abu Revo STX, which uses both pins and a magnetic brake.

One set of brakes control the beginning of the cast while the other set controls the end of the cast.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I was reading some of the specifications on the Calcutta B series and i beleive they changed the brake system to the VBS wich i think stands for variable brake system. VBS uses centrifugal force rather than magnets to aid in controlling the cast. I believe this allows for a smoother cast and reduces the "birdnest" effect on the longer distance casts. Just out of curiosity were you using a lower end version of the calcutta? thanks for the input guys.
I was using a 251B.
VBS or not, you'll need to access those pins from time to time, and that's done by removing two knurled machine screws, and either pulling the guts outta the reel or the backplate rotating open to access. (Not sure which on that series)
I didn't dislike the reel, just that feature. Other than that issue, the reel was very smooth and had one helluva drag. If you believe that this feature won't be an issue for ya, pick one up, it's definitely a quality reel GC15.
Good luck and let us know what ya go with.
J

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I like to stick with the good ole Abu round bodies. Partly because that is what I have always had and part of it is because of the operation of the reels. The biggest thing for me is that the freespool "button" on the Abu is off to the side of the reel instead of covering the back portion of the spool. I've found the style of levers that come across the backside of the spool to interfere with clamping down to set the hook. Also, while I don't have dimensional proof, most of the other reels that I have handled seem to have much narrower spools, making it much more cumbersome (to me) to clamp down with my thumb for a quick hookset.

There are things about the Ambassedeurs that I do not like but nothing that can't be taken care of with some moderate surgery...:evilsmile

Just my opinion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts