Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious about a trend I've noticed...seems people keep meticulous records about how many rounds have been fired through their guns. I don't remember that was a thing in the past. We just shot until our accuracy degraded and changed barrels. With the price of ammo/components and quality of steel nowadays, I can't imagine that many shooters "shoot out" their barrels. Maybe I'm wrong and everyone's gone full tacticool, firing thousands of rounds every weekend. I have too many guns and too little time to keep such records. What do you do?

·
Registered
812 Posts
With modern metallurgy and ammo technology it's doubtful anyone but the most competitive of serious shooters ever fires enough rounds to wear out a barrel nowadays.

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
I think your instincts are good.

That said, there are many assembled rifles with low quality components that accuracy degrades quickly. And, there are rifles that were not built to the highest standards going back a long way. So some rifles will never shoot without custom loads anyway.

Some chamberings are considered barrel burners. And their accuracy degrades more quickly.

If you have one of those rifles, it might pay to keep track of round count for it. But chances are, most of us will never or could never afford to, shoot out a modern barrel.

If one of my rifles was shooting 1 inch differently than it had previously, it would be hard for me to know if it was me, the load, or the barrel.

I suspect it’s that way for most people.

·
Registered
65 Posts
When I started my Highpower Rifle Competition journey in 2000, I bought an AR with a chrome moly barrel.
Fast forward 2 years, I shot a personal best of 751 out of 800 at 1 match. The next weekend, I had trouble hitting the target. Round count at the time was about 2500, all bullets were moly coated 75 grain match bullets.

Barrel erosion was bad enough that a bullet touching the lands was no longer in the case.

I replaced the barrel and accuracy returned.

I switched to stainless barrels and have had way better barrel life.

I stopped using moly coated bullets and shot only Sierra 69 grain Matchkings.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Whoah! I haven't heard the term "chrome moly" since the late 80's! But, we were talking Mongoose box frames, Redline tapered Proline forks, and GT BMX Speed Series frames- BMX Boyz! I think it came up again on a Peugeot 10 speed in young adulthood!

Maybe I'm green, but never thought of it on an AR ! Sad to hear it may not have been an ideal barrel material.

But, now I can't get out of my mind how an AR with all BMX bike finishes would look! I can see it: some chrome moly with blue anodized aluminum trim and some chunky rubber grips - maybe even some of that "tough mag" wheel material;).

Anyone remember the mythical statement: "when the wheel gets tweaked, just put 'em in your the freezer; it'll straighten out." Like Mom would ever allow that, not to mention they won't fit in a regular freezer.😅

Whole new AR build inspiration going on here!
Bicycle Tire Wheel Land vehicle Bicycle wheel

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Land vehicle

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I document every centerfire round sent down range. This started when I started reloading. With today's component and ammo prices this is even more important to me. Some rifles don't even get fired in any given year, so there is no way I'll remember what happened last time. Call it OCD if you have to. Some range sessions, not all, take more time to document and evaluate than they did to shoot.

·
Premium Member
33,855 Posts
Whoah! I haven't heard the term "chrome moly" since the late 80's! But, we were talking Mongoose box frames, Redline tapered Proline forks, and GT BMX Speed Series frames- BMX Boyz! I think it came up again on a Peugeot 10 speed in young adulthood!

I raced a Diamondback Viper:

...but I always wanted a Hutch.

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
I raced a Diamondback Viper:

...but I always wanted a Hutch.
VDC Chunga!
ftw
lol

If you were in Michigan racing BMX in the early 80s, and raced against team JMC,
I built the bike.
Mr. Beckmann would bring me the parts, and I would build it.
Dozens of bikes. Trailers full.

I didn’t race, but it became clear that whomever was fearless enough to hit the first jump the hardest, wold probably win.

I’m beginning the process of inventorying my bike shop to get rid of all that stuff on eBay.
I’ve hoarded stuff for 50 years. Time to let some go.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts