Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
On your particular setup, i can’t confirm exactly. All rod manufacturers are differen’t but generally speaking, yes, tip weight as well as actual line weight, together, make up your “grain window” weight. I too, would suggest practicing w a normal type spey fly w the hook cut off. Once your casting is dialed in then you start experimenting w dumbell eyed types, if that is your thing. Sign up on the Speypages. It’s free and a wealth of knowledge
Thanks for the help. I'll do that.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey Man,

Proper disclosure - I rep Echo for the upper Midwest. The best head for that SR is the Skagit Scout from Airflo in a 510gr or something similar (OPST, SA etc). You want a SHORT Skagit head. This will help you tremendously in your casting.

As for the tip...you want the length of your tippet/tip to be within 2-3’ of the length of your rod...you are there. The other general “rule” is that you want the total length of your head/tip/leader to be approx 2.5x length of your rod. A 15’ head, plus a 10’ tip, plus a 2-3’ leader would be perfect.

Get a short Skagit system for the SR. For the Chromer, that Skagit Max should work better because it’s a longer rod.

Finally, disregard tip weight. Skagit casting is also known as “water load,” casting...meaning the sink tip anchors the d-loop. The only weight that matters is the head weight because this is the only weight in the air when you’re loading the rod to cast. Another type of casting is Scandinavian style, or “touch and go,” casting. In this type of casting your sink tip or polyleader weight should be included in your overall system weight. But we can save that discussion for a future day.

Good luck in your endeavors...spey and switch style casting are among my passions in this sport.

Cheers.

Phil

·
Banned
8,728 Posts
Hey Man,

Proper disclosure - I rep Echo for the upper Midwest. The best head for that SR is the Skagit Scout from Airflo in a 510gr or something similar (OPST, SA etc). You want a SHORT Skagit head. This will help you tremendously in your casting.

As for the tip...you want the length of your tippet/tip to be within 2-3’ of the length of your rod...you are there. The other general “rule” is that you want the total length of your head/tip/leader to be approx 2.5x length of your rod. A 15’ head, plus a 10’ tip, plus a 2-3’ leader would be perfect.

Get a short Skagit system for the SR. For the Chromer, that Skagit Max should work better because it’s a longer rod.

Finally, disregard tip weight. Skagit casting is also known as “water load,” casting...meaning the sink tip anchors the d-loop. The only weight that matters is the head weight because this is the only weight in the air when you’re loading the rod to cast. Another type of casting is Scandinavian style, or “touch and go,” casting. In this type of casting your sink tip or polyleader weight should be included in your overall system weight. But we can save that discussion for a future day.

Good luck in your endeavors...spey and switch style casting are among my passions in this sport.

Cheers.

Phil
Awesome help! Thank you!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hey Man,

Cheers.

Phil
Thanks for that. I did order a 400 grain commando head yesterday, should be here tuesday. If that doesn't work I'll try the 510 as you recommend. I went out this morning and the head does seem way too long. I can't get the fly a rod length from me like they do in the videos. And when I try to roll cast it goes about to the tip and the fly kinda just bounces up and back down.

·
Banned
8,728 Posts
Thanks for that. I did order a 400 grain commando head yesterday, should be here tuesday. If that doesn't work I'll try the 510 as you recommend. I went out this morning and the head does seem way too long. I can't get the fly a rod length from me like they do in the videos. And when I try to roll cast it goes about to the tip and the fly kinda just bounces up and back down.

Edgewalker,

I might be able to get free next Sunday afternoon if you have time to get to Newaygo to spend some time casting. I’m not skilled but did get the hang of it after this trip where we dealt with some pretty brutal wind. I’m at the end of the video in the tan jacket and the very average sized sea trout vs. the monsters in the first half.

If the weather is good next weekend, I’m going to try to get to Newaygo.

cheers

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Edgewalker,

I might be able to get free next Sunday afternoon if you have time to get to Newaygo to spend some time casting. I’m not skilled but did get the hang of it after this trip where we dealt with some pretty brutal wind. I’m at the end of the video in the tan jacket and the very average sized sea trout vs. the monsters in the first half.

If the weather is good next weekend, I’m going to try to get to Newaygo.

cheers

Sure could. I get weekends off so I'm free then. I got a friend that lives near hardy dam, used to go up there and croton all the time.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Made a little progress. I put the rio Skagit max short 575 back on and wasn't doing very well. I had a big ball of yarn with no hook for a fly so I could see it good. I ended cutting that off and just casted with nothing on the leader. Then I was actually able to cast out. My distance and accuracy was getting a little better but I got cold and ice was plugging the guides so I called it. We're my flies to big to begin with?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yes ! Ripping one of those god awful skull helmet dealios out of the water will only compound your problems. Plus, if you are throwing 10’ of t8 you most likely don’t need to get down any more.
Lol as long as I don't have to buy $30-$60 flies. Seems every time I need something it's that much.

Would these flies work? Or what's good for steelhead?

·
Registered
413 Posts
I silver car key w a hook attached will catch steelhead. Cigarette butts catch steelhead. My point was, for a new spey caster, don’t put yourself behind the 8 ball immediately, by trying to cast something like that. Proper me ding can get you in the zone w out needing the lead/tungsten

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I silver car key w a hook attached will catch steelhead. Cigarette butts catch steelhead. My point was, for a new spey caster, don’t put yourself behind the 8 ball immediately, by trying to cast something like that. Proper me ding can get you in the zone w out needing the lead/tungsten
I had no clue. That's just the 4 flies they picked for me at Great Lakes Fly shop

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Keep practicing. Don’t be like me. I’ve shelved my switch rod. In fact- am willing to sell or trade for a 5-6 weight standard fly rod. It’s a Scott L2H 11’ five weight. Got a 375 commando head too. Just saying. I’d rather dunk spawn and sip coffee on a beach

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Keep practicing. Don’t be like me. I’ve shelved my switch rod. In fact- am willing to sell or trade for a 5-6 weight standard fly rod. It’s a Scott L2H 11’ five weight. Got a 375 commando head too. Just saying. I’d rather dunk spawn and sip coffee on a beach
I already got about $700 bucks into this. No turning back now.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.