Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
413 Posts
My advise. Don’t spend another dime until you know your gear is properly matched. Forget Nomad. Go see (specifically) Bob Braendle at Great Lakes Fly Company in Rockford. He will get you sorted. Spey casting doesn’t come easy and w the wrong gear you wil flail and flail

· Registered
413 Posts
If Bob set you up w a head for your rod, that’s a good start. The guy knows spey. The rest is up to you. Again, spey casting does not come easy, but when your gear is properly matched and you are an adequate caster,it’s a beautiful thing. Schedule some private spey lessons w Bob. It will come

· Registered
413 Posts
425 for a 10’10” sounds in the ballpark. Both rods are good rods. Rod makers recommendations are a foundation to start. So many other factors come into play. How heavy of tips are you using ? How long is your leader ? Just assuming here you are using tips in Mi. Some guys toss dry lines w long mono leaders. All aboot dialing in your setup w what you want to do, but starting in the right ball park grain window wise, is where you start. And schedule some lessons w Bob, will be the best money you spend. Go to the spey clave gatherings yearly up on the MO. You can try every rod/line combo you can think of and there’s a vast array of spey knowledge there to answer questions.

· Registered
413 Posts
Sounds right. If the line is properly matched, which it sounds like it is, now you just need to learn how to cast it. Spey casting requires an anchor. My guess is, if you are having issues, it’s probably anchor related. Spey casting relies on the anchor to load the rod, in turn, turning over your line. You’ll get there eventually.

· Registered
413 Posts
On your particular setup, i can’t confirm exactly. All rod manufacturers are differen’t but generally speaking, yes, tip weight as well as actual line weight, together, make up your “grain window” weight. I too, would suggest practicing w a normal type spey fly w the hook cut off. Once your casting is dialed in then you start experimenting w dumbell eyed types, if that is your thing. Sign up on the Speypages. It’s free and a wealth of knowledge

· Registered
413 Posts
I silver car key w a hook attached will catch steelhead. Cigarette butts catch steelhead. My point was, for a new spey caster, don’t put yourself behind the 8 ball immediately, by trying to cast something like that. Proper me ding can get you in the zone w out needing the lead/tungsten

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.