Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rose Lake state game, Bath township:

I have been going out there getting my couch potato dog and myself back in shape after this long long winter. I love this place and wish I would have been taking my dog out there since I got him.
Looks like a great place to hunt up some birds, and a guy who cuts my neighbors grass told me they do well out there in the fall.
My boss told me that birds are planted out there. So here is my question, are birds planted out there? If so by who?
Any tips and hints would be well appreciated by myself and my trusty EP. Thanks

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I think they used to release birds under the old 'Put and Take' program that is so often vilified. That program no longer exists to the best of my knowledge.

I've run one of my Pointers there on a number of occasions. Never seen a game bird.

By the way, it's the quiet season now. You might be careful about running your dog loose there if the DNR decides to crack down.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
I knew a few guys that have trained out there. They've released chukers, quail both bobs and reds. I also know a guy that bands woodcock out there. As for any pheasants can't help don't know what a wild pheasant looks like anymore! They say they have moved a few grouse but wouldn't tell me were or even when!

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Hunted the Rose Lake area quite a bit from 1978-1982 while attending MSU. Under the old put and take program you could find Pheasant out there. Killed a lot of squirrels out there too to supplement the college diet.

Took a friend out to Rose Lake a couple years ago, as it had been over 25 years since I'd been there. Very disappointed in the cover. Looked more like it would hold rabbits than birds. No birds found.

Used to hunt behind Park Lake next to the golf course back then too. I could walk into that area with my dogs at any time and flush 10-15 grouse in an hour. Lots of woodcock next to the big bog that used to back up to Park Lake. Think maybe Eyde Construction owned the property back then. Don't know if I would even recognize the area today. Me and my Golden Retriever and Spaniel mix took our share of birds out of there during season.

Use to find pheasant across Lake Lansing Rd. from the Haslett condo complex (Lac Du Mont) we lived in. Eyde construction owned that property too. Use to be able to call their main office in Okemos and get permission to hunt those properties. Those days are gone.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Hunted the Rose Lake area quite a bit from 1978-1982 while attending MSU. Under the old put and take program you could find Pheasant out there. Killed a lot of squirrels out there too to supplement the college diet.

Took a friend out to Rose Lake a couple years ago, as it had been over 25 years since I'd been there. Very disappointed in the cover. Looked more like it would hold rabbits than birds. No birds found.

Used to hunt behind Park Lake next to the golf course back then too. I could walk into that area with my dogs at any time and flush 10-15 grouse in an hour. Lots of woodcock next to the big bog that used to back up to Park Lake. Think maybe Eyde Construction owned the property back then. Don't know if I would even recognize the area today. Me and my Golden Retriever and Spaniel mix took our share of birds out of there during season.

Use to find pheasant across Lake Lansing Rd. from the Haslett condo complex (Lac Du Mont) we lived in. Eyde construction owned that property too. Use to be able to call their main office in Okemos and get permission to hunt those properties. Those days are gone.
Gotta love developers. :rant:

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
My local RGS chapter has been working on a woodcock habitat project there over the past few years (see the "habitat" page at http://aargs.com/). If you watch Michigan Out of Doors (on right now!) you can see a segment on it.

Regarding grouse, from what I hear it's like most S. Michigan SGA's: walk all day and flush maybe 2 birds if you're lucky.

I've never gone after pheasants there so I have no idea how abundant they are, but I suspect it's similar to the grouse situation.

Be careful about running your dog during the quiet time out there, there's a good chance you'll run into a CO, not to mention the nesting game birds also need a break.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Eyde is developing the wooded area at the end of my street. Over the past 5 years, I've found the area to be home to deer, wild turkey, and I suspect a coyote or two. They are building a charter school, despite the fact that three or four public schools have been shut down in Lansing over the past several years and the buildings sit empty. Two more are currently on the chopping block. Iealize this is a tangent, but this unnecessary development really bothers me! :mad::mad::mad: :rant::rant::rant:

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
As far as delelopers go, the Eyde family has been very good to hunters and hunter access.
I'm sure that's true. But hunters have lost that access every time they've developed land and continue to.

Eyde is developing the wooded area at the end of my street. Over the past 5 years, I've found the area to be home to deer, wild turkey, and I suspect a coyote or two. They are building a charter school, despite the fact that three or four public schools have been shut down in Lansing over the past several years and the buildings sit empty. Two more are currently on the chopping block. Iealize this is a tangent, but this unnecessary development really bothers me! :mad::mad::mad: :rant::rant::rant:
Considering the number of buildings in this state that are vacant thanks to the economy it's hard to see how anyone can justify wrecking more habitat to build.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.