Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

rookie taking out son-need advice

1138 Views 14 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  WALLEYE MIKE
Well i havent been out on st clair ice fishing since high sch00l(class of 81) so that speaks for itself.

My son was watching michigan outdoors and seen them ice fishing and i asked if he would like to try and he said yes(he is 8).

Well i borrowed my buddies stuff-shanty, poles,heater, tipups

Well this is were you guys comein. I boat fish the lake alot for those who dont know me, but ice fishing-well

Im thinking crocker or hall road
Thursday morning
We will be walking -so we arent going out a few miles :)

what do you think? any advice
techniques?
bait?
etc?

im more worried about just keeping him busy and not as worried about size

thnaks in advance
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
I MIGHT GET POO POOED ON THIS TACTIC! I JUST STARTED THIS YEAR W/MY BOYS! I LIKE TO FIND A SPOT OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF THOSE SHANTY'S! WHERE NO HOLES HAVE EVER BEEN DRILLED, I HAVE YET TO GET SKUNKED ON THAT TACTIC!!! BUT I DO GO OUT 1 OR SO MILES. IN FRONT OF 400 OR CROCKER. I USE GLOW GREEN TEARDROP W/MINNOWS ABOUT 8"OFF THE BOTTOM.
" HOWS THAT GUYS"? I WAS ASKING THE SAME ?'S ABOUT A MONTH AGO & NOW I HAVE LEARNT SO MUCH FROM THESE GUYS I FEEL I MUST PASS IT ON!!! THANX GUYS YOU MADE ME/US A LIFE LONG ICEMAN!!!!!!
P.S. "I DON'T MOVE!" I WAITE OUT THE ACTION
I'd take him to either Fairhaven or SANG. I have found that the kids find it more enjoyable when they can see bottom and watch the fish come in. This gives them something to do besides watching a bobber, which is what you will be doing at crocker. You can see out there but it is difficult (at least last time I was out) to pick out fish in 12' if you don't know what you are looking for. Fishing will be picking up at crocker/metro in the next few weeks...get him out there for the pigs then.

Maybe some one can throw you some #'s to try. I'm planning on taking my daughter out on Wend. morning at fairhaven...I'll let you know how we do.....
Fairhaven for numbers...Crocker for size...I go out of Genos, I walk out 1 mile, its an easy walk,with creepers, and did real well on Saturday, Kept nothing under 10 inches..ended up with 18 or so.. taking 11 year old out on thursday hitting Genos prolly around 7 ( unless I decide to wait till the afternoon bite...)

I use minnows on a white teardrop, about 6 inches from the bottom in about 11 ft of water. Take an frs radio with you and monitor channel 7, others from the site will guide you in the right direction
If you go out to Fairhaven and head towards the groups of shanties you should get him into fish and there are the JUMBOS there too. If I were taking a youngster or 1st time ice fisherperson fishing that is where I'd go.
some suggestions:
Metro about 300 yds out from the beach

Metro about 20 min walk straight out from day sail ramp ... line yourself up with the pt at metro and the big flag pole in front of the colony

Beacon cove for gills and perch

Ginos stright out about 3/4 mile by permanent shanty

SANG out to the south about 20 min walk.... line up the two voids in the base south and west of you...

these are the spots I have been fishing.... one thing is for sure this year 50 yds one way or the other can me fish as quick as you get the line down or one every 20 mins.... have yet to find really large schools..... minnows seem to be the bait of the year for big fish... good luck...
What Dead Bird said. Also Fair Haven, nice clear water for them to see the fish coming in. It'll keep thier attention much better.
I've been noticiing that every time I go to or past Brandenburg, ther is always one or two guys fishing on the north side of the peer, just before the end of it, right next to the supports. I asked Tony at Anglers & Archers about it and he says you can catch lots of 'em there all day long but not very big. If I was only interested in numbers, I would give it that a try.
where would one park at fairhaven?

the boat launch?
The boat launch is your best bet. It looks like it is going to be a nice day for the little guy and if he gets hooked and wants to do it again I will be taking my 4 year old out Saturday afternoon and will have a quad so you guys are welcome to come along.
thanks for the invite, but my buddy wants to take me snowmobling this weekend(if weather holds) and i hate to make him mad
If you go to crocker or genos let me know me and brother will be there and will try to get you on some fish pretty fast. Also have quad with trailer for ride out and back in.There is no bigger joy than to watch a young one reel in a hog.
1fife-
Heading out on Thursday (am), not sure where. I'll give you a call later.
Looks like the only time I got this week is Thursday also. Probably be in Fair haven. Can't let IFN catch them all.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.