Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a Michigan story, but neat how she showed up her hubby.

Rookie bowhunter scores big buck

TOWN OF BERGEN — As a first-year bowhunter, Heather Woodward normally follows the advice of her husband, Jeff, when it comes to archery tactics.

But this was no normal occasion.

"He told me if I ever saw a buck to just look at the body — because otherwise I'd see the antlers and get nervous," she remembers.

Then, on Nov. 14, the feisty buck of a lifetime walked into view as Heather waited in a tree stand.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20081123/GPG0204/811230671/1233

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Rookie bowhunter scores big buck

By Jim Lee
Gannett Wisconsin Media

TOWN OF BERGEN — As a first-year bowhunter, Heather Woodward normally follows the advice of her husband, Jeff, when it comes to archery tactics.

But this was no normal occasion.

"He told me if I ever saw a buck to just look at the body — because otherwise I'd see the antlers and get nervous," she remembers.

Then, on Nov. 14, the feisty buck of a lifetime walked into view as Heather waited in a tree stand.

"I saw the horns, and I just couldn't stop looking at them," she said. "I started to shake ... I was so nervous.

"The buck was making scrapes and rubbing on trees. It's not something you see every day."

Agitated, the buck's response was stirred by doe bleats and grunt calls issued by Jeff, who was perched on the ground under a balsam 40 yards from Heather's stand.

"At first, the buck was about 60 yards out, way too far for a shot, but then it came closer," Heather said. "He came toward my stand head-on, then turned broadside when he got about 20 yards away. I shot. He ran about 40 yards and disappeared into the brush.

"I didn't want to believe what was happening. My heart was pounding."

Jeff led the way to the fallen deer.

"Heather Dean Woodward, what have you done?" he exclaimed upon spotting the buck's huge rack.

"I started to cry," she admits.

The couple, who were married Nov. 1, will be making a trip to the taxidermist well before their honeymoon cruise in Alaska next summer.

Heather's buck turned out to be a 200-pound, 10-pointer that appears likely to rank among the top 10 ever taken in Marathon County by a bowhunter.

Not bad for a gal's first shot in her initial year of bowhunting. She credits Jeff, 31, (who killed an 8-point buck off the same stand earlier in the season), for her success and says it all goes back to their dating days.

"He got me into fishing — I'd never done that," she said. "It turned out to be a lot more exciting than I thought it would be."

Then he recommended bowhunting ... and marriage ... and the excitement continues.

HOLY COW!!!! WHAT a deer.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Holy Rompola Competition....I want her on our team!!!

·
Registered
625 Posts
proof that, if given the chance, a woman can beat a man at almost anything.

·
Registered
625 Posts
careful...wendy might shoot over your shoulder and nail it before you have the chance to raise your weapon!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts