Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a novice and looking for advice. I am embarrassed to say ive have gotten around using this as much as i can because of the technique. I heolding the rod at an angle that lets the fly line fall behind my back
then slowly moving the rod down the giving it a snap with my wrist and forearm. my line sadly falls almost in a pile or if i snap it higher it doesnt get the power it needs and doesnt snap the line out. can an experinced angler help a new guy out?
thanks
sandman

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Don't let the line fall behind you.
hold the rod straight up, getting as much line out of the water as possible. Then snap your rod down. (From Noon to ten). this should do it for you. The key is getting a lot of line up in the air and off the water!
If you are using a heavy streamer or an indicator this won't work well.
Next time you are near Bachelder's stop in and I'm sure Mike will show ya! If you can't get a hold of him, let me know, maybe we could hit Rifle or the mason tract after the steelie run!

·
Administrator
35,625 Posts
Sandman, I will try.... The main thing I think is to make sure your line is loaded. By this I mean that when you raise your rod to the twelve o clock position, your line should be fairly taunt. Then using mainly wrist action flick forward and hopefully you will get a rolling loop.

G

·
0 Posts
You are practicing your roll cast on the water, right? Those roll casts go nowhere on the lawn. I found that out the hard and embarrassing way when I started.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Good point PeddlerJac! I didn't even think of that. I remember how ticked off I was when I couldn't master the Roll cast down in my backyard!!!
Seriously though one day on the water and you'll be roll casting like a champ.
~Rick

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes ive been working on it on water. It sounds to me like maybe ive been holding the rod a little low? I am trying to do it with the reel a little lower than my shoulder. I will try to get more line out of the water.
thanks sandman
Oh Rick My Boss and I are heading up to the rifle the weekend after this on i figured we would hit the sucker fest and head up to the rifle. Bachelder's is the place right there on state with the rivers painted on the front?
thanks once again
later sandman

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Yes that's the place! Pretty ran down but I would recomend Mike Bachelder's shop (And advice) to anyone!!!!! He is always willing to help and he doesn't BS about the conditions! He fishes nearly every day(Especially during the Hatch season)so he knows what is going on!
I'll be on a river from 3/31 to 4/2. I'll probably will hit the Trilogy! Ausable , East branch, and Rifle. Maybe I'll run into you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts