Name: Laser Beard Removal

Members:

d_rek (captain)
Ol Tom Killa
justdandy
bowslayer53
TGsupermag21
slammer00

Everyone please respond to this thread or the PM I sent you and I will enter our team into the official sign up thread!

Feel free to let everyone know what zone/county you'll be hunting and what dates you have a tag for.

I'm private property in St. Clair County, Hunt 0301, April 20 - May 3rd.

regards,
d_rek

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm a mathematician at my day job. Counting is my specialty.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:D

Wouldn't expect anything less than 100% ribbing 100% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ol Tom Killa

Can you contact bowslayer53 and TGsupermag21 and have them give a shout? Thanks!

Went scouting for sign the other day at my hunting property in an area I seen them roost all fall last year. No sign.. must be a fall roosting spot. Makes sense, since this area is almost underwater this time of year.

Got a great tip from the property owner about where he's pretty sure they hang out in the spring though. Near the property line, next to an old watering hole, just up the crest of a sandy knoll where there are a mid-sized grove of pines, immediately adjacent to a sand pit. Owner says he has always seen them dusting there year round. Going to scout there in the next day or two.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh yah found the roost also got permission to hunt 40 acres near Algonac where my cousin usually bags a tom every year

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Leg Automotive tire Wood Foot Terrestrial animal

Got some big tracks all over the sandpit at the back of the hunting property. I hung a camera back there to see what time they're dusting themselves back there. Pic is next to my size 13 boat

Attachments

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Saw strutters in 3 different fields all within 1 mile of the area i'm hunting for the opener! Getting pumped!!!

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Just don't poop your pants this year!

Is there something the rest of the team needs to know about?

Well all need to perform our "duty" for the good of the team heh heh heh

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ok ya bastards who's heading out for the opener tomorrow? I'll be out bright and early at 6AM.

Looks like the weather should break before first light and provide a few hours of respite before some more storms move in late afternoon/early evening.

Good luck to everyone and let's see some pics from the field!

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
No love this morning. Hopefully I'll at least see your bird this afternoon. This property is maddening like that I will see them in the field 40 to 50 yards from where I set up for five days in a row and then they will just disappear for a few days

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Just wanted to congratulate justdandy on his awesome bird! Way to put us on the board!

I'll be out tomorrow evening, Saturday all day, and Sunday morning (hopefully it wont take that long) :D

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Just doing my part to ruffle some feathers. Good to see its working. ;)

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Was out yesterday afternoon... Not a bird to be heard.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Well fellas where are everyone's bird?

Sorry man between work and family stuff haven't had a chance to hit the woods much this week. Hopefully the next couple of afternoons and weds or Thursday morning.

I think the rest of our team has late season tags

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Just anchored a nice tom with the bow pics and story to follow

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Sorry. Going go lay it out there but I didn't recover this bird. Here's the story.

At about 5:30 I had a bird come sneaking in the timber, across the two track and clearing where my blind is setup, responding to some really light helping I was doing on my box call.

He came in on the back side of my jake and hen dekes and worked his way from about 30 yards down the two track and got right up on the jake dekes ****. He stood and purred really softly for a few minutes against the jakes backside and pecked at the back of his head a few times. He wasn't full strut but had his neck fully extended for this first exchange. Then he decided to face off with the jake and as he circled around and put his back to me I brought the bow to full draw while he also went full strut fully fanned out. I say there at full draw for probably a good minute while he pecked and kicked the jake. Finally he settled down and was just slightly quartering away but mostly broadside when I triggered my release.

I heard a meaty thud and the arrow made a complete pass through and knocked him down briefly but he got up just as fast as he fell down. He attempted to fly off by the arrow was still in him sticking through both sides and had pinned his right wing and he couldn't flap it. So instead he footed it back into the timber.

I felt really good about the shot and placement at the time but doing rewind in my head it's possible I missed vitals and made a meat shot. I thought he would be a goner and an easy recovery for sure but as hunting has taught me yet again taking an animals life is never easy.

Since I thought the shot was good I let him sit for a full 40 minutes before tracking. In that time I had another tom come in and hang up about 35 yards out and what looked like a hen sneak through the woods behind him.

After the other birds cleared out I started tracking almost 45 minutes after I shot him. The only sign I found was a single bloody feather and a twig that had a slight blood smear on it, which was expected as the arrow still in him would have plugged the wound. I looked for him from 6:30 until I let was too dark to see before calling it quits.

I am beyond disappointed and feel like a huge failure as a hunter and a teammate. Sorry to let everyone down.

I may give it one more go Friday or Saturday but I'm feeling pretty dejected right about now. Good luck to everyone else. Sorry again.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Nice bird justdandy. drek that sucks. But keep after them buddy. Only a couple more days left of your season and redeem yourself!
slammer00

Thanks man. After I hit my nadir last night I decided I had to get out at least one more time before my season's done and try to redeem myself. I'll be out either Thursday afternoon or Saturday morning. Going to hit the same spot and stay optimistic.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.