Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what the difference is between lead core rods, rigger rods and trolling rods. My brother bought a combo at northwoods and when he got home the rod said lead core on it. Can i use it with reg mono?
Thank

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
438 Posts
Yes, you can use it for whatever type of line you like. Retail rod companies call rods all kinds of things to catch anglers. A leadcore or copper rod will typically have larger guide rings to accommodate terminal knots. They will generally be a MH power and a moderate action. Downrigger rods generally have less power, and slower action. Diver rods are usually MH or H power and faster actions, suited for the heavy stress of divers. Most modern guide rings will accommodate all lines(braid, mono, floro, copper, leadcore, etc..) up to SS wire. For that you need specialized rods with either roller guides or the Silicon Nitride rings.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I went ahead a spooled it with mono. Try this set up for now and see how a $40 combo works.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Mr. Flatfish
7,736 Posts
Agree that naming conventions on rods and reels are sometimes the product of the marketing divison of the manufacturer. Remember when there were only three kinds of chevys, 150, 210 and impala? Now we have all kinds of models... I doubt if a caught fish will care the name on the rod or reel, as long as it does the job, within reason... One reason to be aware of the kind of rod guides is to be sure they will handle the kind of line you are using, not grooving and eventually destroying the line and rod itself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts