Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What length and action -- Med. or Med. Heavy -- rods do you recommend for trolling with planer boards ? Also, might as throw in what line test do you reommend ?

Thanks...

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
I use the same rods I use for trolling. Mine are eagle claw downrigger rods meiden action with line counter reels I was use peen 10 reels but sold that rig and I now have shakespeare tide water line counters. Have had them for one season and like them a lot. I use essex 20lb mono

·
Super Moderator
10,175 Posts
Ugly Sticks get my vote for reasonable and effective. I use BWD1171 in the 7 ft model (I'm pretty sure that's right). I use them for Walleye and Steelhead but they will handle Salmon as well. Good luck in your decision. :)

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I have two 8'3" and two 9'0" Ugly Stiks that used to be my downrigger rods.... but now have four 7' Ugly Stiks for the downriggers... so the others are now used for boards... and small to medium dipsies.

On the 1st outing out the season I ran basically all 15 lb. test with no leaders. If the water is clear... or the fish are line shy... don't be afraid to put in a 5-6 foot section of lighter leader... say... 10 or 8 lb. test (maybe even 6 lb. if you are daring enough :D )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts