Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone i recently became the new owner to a 16ft spectrum. It came with two riggers and a planner mast. My questions is what kind of rod holders is everyone running. The riggers are the only thing the has a holder on it. Im looking to trolling 3 to each side but dont know what style yo use. Im new to trolling on a boat this size. Plus im working on a small budget. If anyone has pictures of there set up that would be nice. If i can figure out how to load pics i will of the boat.
Thanks
Wayne

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
There's lots to choose from. Depends on what you like and what you plan to run. If your not going to use the big boards and use the big dipsy's, I'd stick with metal rocket launchers. Other wise your open to any you like or can get a deal on. I don't run big dipsy's very often ( hardly ever) so I run Rams and Roberts as I prefer those to rocket launchers. I have 16 locations set up on my 18 fter. If you need more pics I can take some and post. I like 3 rods right at arms length without having to get up.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like to try and run the big boards to start. With the big boards would it be better to have your rods along the side of the boat?

·
Registered
659 Posts
I wouldnt put anything but the southeaster ol salty type rod holders on any boat. they are as tough as they come. I troll for walleye,salmon and muskie. i dont woory about flimsy rod holders. they cost a little more but are well worth it.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I would like to try and run the big boards to start. With the big boards would it be better to have your rods along the side of the boat?
Depends on what you like. Alot of guys like triple trees. Smaller foot print and work good with large or inline boards.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info i guess i will have to play around with a few ideas.

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,441 Posts
Marine automated dock systems sells good rod holders for the money. 48 bucks for a triple rod tree
Sounds like a great deal! :)
Do you have any contact information available???

·
Registered
492 Posts
Just do yourself a favor and get the aluminum or stainless ones. Plastic ones will eventually crack on you - good way to lose a rod over the side.

·
Premium Member
29,965 Posts
Hello everyone i recently became the new owner to a 16ft spectrum. It came with two riggers and a planner mast. My questions is what kind of rod holders is everyone running. The riggers are the only thing the has a holder on it. Im looking to trolling 3 to each side but dont know what style yo use. Im new to trolling on a boat this size. Plus im working on a small budget. If anyone has pictures of there set up that would be nice. If i can figure out how to load pics i will of the boat.
Thanks
Wayne

So what did you end up getting? I've got a smaller boat also, and ended up getting 8 of these, real heavy duty........

Only $20 each at Northwoods in Pinconning.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went with Scotty holders as well i got ones like you did but there not the quick release style. I also got them at northwoods. Love that store. I end up mounting 4 of them along the back to start i might mount some along the sides but this will work for now. Im still learning this trolling thing haha.

·
Premium Member
29,965 Posts
I went with Scotty holders as well i got ones like you did but there not the quick release style. I also got them at northwoods. Love that store. I end up mounting 4 of them along the back to start i might mount some along the sides but this will work for now. Im still learning this trolling thing haha.

Best to have them on the sides if you can. I mounted mine on a board first, then I only had to drill 2 holes in boat for each side. My brother is trying to make his pleasure boat into a fishing machine, and he bought the same ones and mounted the same way. here's his boat.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts