Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tried a "Walkydog" attachment for my bike to road my dog. It worked as promised, but I have some concerns. First of all I have a street bike, and I'm riding on concrete. My dog was a little tentative for the first 1/4 mile, but then got into "search" mode after he saw a few squirrels/rabbits. They would run, of course, & the dog tried to follow. I was able to control the dog, but he pulled as much as he could. When I got home & looked at his pads, they were smooth & one was about burned through. I've tried liquids "tougheners" in the past during hunting trips & they didn't do anything. Has anyone else roaded their dogs like this, & how did their dog's pads hold up? What about joint problems from running on concrete. It's got to be allot harder on a dog than through a field.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I won't ride my bike with my guys on pavement more than a mile or so the rest I do on dirt roads. It can be pretty hard on their joints. Pads will heel and get tough with time though. We use bag balm on torn pads.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I run mine 3-5 miles like that on gravel and dirt roads 2-3 times a week. Concrete is hard on anything running on it but unless you're planning on roading your dog like a field trailer i wouldn't worry too much about it. Weight gain is worse for a dog's joints. Just don't over do it.

Give your dog a week of rest and then try it again with short runs for a while (like a mile). The dog's pads need time to toughen up.

I don't know how old your dog is but i wouldn't road a dog until it's at least 14 months. Others may have other opinions.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
u have to condition your dogs pads by getting them on pavement. don't do too much all at once.

after a while they will be good to go

·
Registered
874 Posts
If you can keep your dog on the soft shoulder of the road. With my Springer, not a spanial but similar to a walkie dog, they warned about running dogs on pavement. Have had similar issues myself and even split nails from pavement. Let the pads heal if you cannot do this and try shorter runs building up to longer ones. This will toughen the pads gradually.

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
I use a Walky Dog to road dogs 3-4X /week. Attach the lead from a WD/Springer to a roading harness. I like to run them on road shoulders, hard pack or blacktop when its cool. Concrete is the worst for the dogs feet/ skeletal systems and you'll never see the pros road on concrete.

Tuff-Foot will help with getting soft/thin pads toughened up. Take plenty of water for the dogs and yourself. Start with short runs and then work up to longer distances.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts