Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

ROAD TRIPS Campfire!

2K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  Jet08 
#1 ·
This thread will be for any and all deer hunters that wish to discuss their Out of State Hunts with the rest of the MSF hunting community.
Please keep the spirit of the hunt in mind and please lift each other up as fellow sportsmen!
Have fun with this and enjoy the ride!

T

Reactions: Bucman
#2 ·
Myself and 5 others (4 from these forums) traveled to Idaho on an elk hunt in mid September. None of us were fortunate to tag an elk but we had an enjoyable fun filled trip.
Now that we're back and shifting from elk to whitetails, some of us will be venturing out to other states to chase whiteys!
Pez Gallo and I traditionally hunt in southern Ohio together each year and we'll likely rendezvous there again in the next 30 days or so.
If I'm fortunate to punch tags in Michigan and/or Ohio, I may venture down to KY with Robow to chase Bluegrass bucks.
So many options, so little season!

Reactions: Bucman
#3 ·
Im traveling to southern Ohio this year to try and fill a tag. I'm still new to that ground so I try and hunt it as much as possible. I have some pics of some dandy deer on the ground. It's not a lot but it sets up great to hunt. I'm heading there this morning. I'm hoping to acquire permission for better access to a couple stands.

My son and I also travel to southern Illinois and hunt some farm ground we acquired about 10 yrs ago. It is truly land of the giants. We mainly only shotgun hunt there do to time. I'm blessed to be able to do this as I also have very good local hunting here.

Safe trips to everyone on the road and in the stands.

#7 ·
#15 ·
Pez Gallo and I hunted Sullivan Co. in 2011 near Green City, west and little south of you. Cool country. In 2013 I solo hunted just north of thee in Iowa.

Reactions: droptine989
#12 ·
I will be spending as much time as possible again on my leased ground in Missouri. This year will be very challenging as I will be limited in time due to a new job, and our hunt club has upped the previous 130" or bigger rule to 140" or bigger. The next few years should be very exciting as we advance the age structure!

#21 ·
How'd you do jet?

#18 ·
White Rectangle Azure Slope Organism

I wish it was this weekend instead of next that I had plans to hunt southern Ohio!
I might have to reconsider staying home. We'll see!

Reactions: Elk-coholic
#22 ·
Haven't been able to spend as much time as I'd like to in Missouri with the new job... I hunted the bow opener, warm temps into the 90's during the days made it pretty slow. I did see good movement in the evenings but no Missouri shooters. I passed a 125-130" 9pt.

I went back and hunted the 9th-12th of November. Again seen good deer movement but nothing that I was looking for. I was at full draw on this deer on the evening of the 10th but I let him walk.. I think he is only 2yo, in another couple years he really could be something special.
Organism Deer Grass Black-and-white Fawn

Last year the club harvested 12 bucks between 130" and 196"... This year only 3 bucks were killed (130, 140, and a 156). Part of this due to the new, higher minimum antler score for harvest. This is great news for this late season and the prospect of next season with all those bucks getting another year.

I will be heading back for their muzzleloader season between Christmas and New Years. We have a lot of really good bucks hanging around and some good food sources. Hopefully I can update this thread with a big'n in a couple weeks.

Reactions: QDMAMAN
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.