Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the day off tomorrow. I live 2.5 hrs away but would love to do a day trip on the river. Please let me know if I can get on the river. PM's are welcome.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I would caution against the river. You will be hard pressed to find a consistent 3-4 inches of ice south of the z bridge. Not saying some edges aren't fishable but use your spud and years of knowledge will help you finding those spots. The pucker factor will be high. I've fished first ice on the saginaw a lot of years. Been safe and been through a few times. Too old for that anymore. Be safe and good luck if get out.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
276 Posts
How far up is it going? Didn’t see that part in the article, is it breaking it all the way up to the turn around?

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
How far up is it going? Didn’t see that part in the article, is it breaking it all the way up to the turn around?
If it's for that bridge project, which is what it sounds like from the article, it'll only be going to the liberty bridge by the old Hooters in Bay City

·
Registered
97 Posts
Got the day off tomorrow. I live 2.5 hrs away but would love to do a day trip on the river. Please let me know if I can get on the river. PM's are welcome.
went down to the river last night after work in bay city. found 3 to 4 inches of good ice on edge of channel. went a little further out and spud went through in two hits so i moved back to edge of channel. 18 foot of water. left shortly after dark. i kept two walleye and a perch. 16 and 21 inch walleye and an 11 inch perch. several undersize walleye went back in. gold swedish pimple worked best for me. will be back after work again today. hope this helps. good luck fellow fisherman and spud your way out.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
went down to the river last night after work in bay city. found 3 to 4 inches of good ice on edge of channel. went a little further out and spud went through in two hits so i moved back to edge of channel. 18 foot of water. left shortly after dark. i kept two walleye and a perch. 16 and 21 inch walleye and an 11 inch perch. several undersize walleye went back in. gold swedish pimple worked best for me. will be back after work again today. hope this helps. good luck fellow fisherman and spud your way out.
Were you up river of the Liberty Bridge?

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Went over Indy bridge this morning. The tug and barge is breaking up a lot of the river right now. Looks like they having a hard time. The crane was using a steel beam to help break the ice. This area is going to be UNSAFE for awhile for sure.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I know that it started downstream of the train bridge that's just downstream of the Naval ship. I am not quite sure how far downstream, someone will chime in hopefully View attachment 810229
It went past smith park towards the mouth then came back. This was Saturday watched it on the Saginaw river cam on YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

1 - 20 of 134 Posts