Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This summer, i became interested in chasing the smallies. I fish the Kalamazoo and occassionally the Grand River. Anyone got any suggestions on good lures or baits for this hot weather and low water conditions?

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,652 Posts
Small to medium minnow baits (and rebel craw's), jigs with hair/plastic (twister triple ripples ;)), beetle spins, and small spoons are my arsenal on river smallies.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have caught many smallies growing up but this summer when one smashed my gold mepps aglia 3 spinner i was instantly hooked on the fight these fish put up. Thanks for the advice! I have been told that certain rapalas do the trick as well. Im thinking live bait (shiners, fatheads) on my next trip to the river

·
Registered
204 Posts
My favorite rig is a ultralight spooled with 2-4# test and a 1/16 or 1/24 oz. Roostertail in the coachdog pattern. Took a 23", 6# smallie on my 2# rig from the Cass river in Frankenmuth. Took half an hour to land it, but though it was 25 years ago, I can remember it like it was yesterday...

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went out to the Kzoo River with some minnows. Rigged it under a bobber and fished some of the slow water. Picked up two 14" largemouth, a 14" smallie, two channels and plenty of little smallies. What would have been the biggest fish got snagged under a log just as i was about to net her. Could have went about 17" id say. Pretty good day considering the water is boiling and the heat index was 110

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I do not hit a river for smallies without a bag of 4" Yum Dingers, T-rigged on a 2/0 wide gap hook, usually brown pumpkin with chartreuse tail. It is KILLER around rocks, deadfalls and weedlines. Only issue is the need for a bit heavier line, given the type of cover and the way it is rigged. I usually use a medium pole with either 10# fireline or 20# powerpro and 8-10# flouro leader. This is also a good setup for tossing smallish jig (3/16oz being my favorite) and plastic combos, if you want to immitate crayfish.

Combine this set up with the UL rigs you mentioned and you should be good to go to cover any conditions.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Most of my big fish (19 &up) have come on top water lures that past couple years. If you want numbers try using a silver 1/4 Oz rattletrap.

River smallmouth are my favorite fish and I am lucky to live by several high quality rivers.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
473 Posts
Most of my big fish (19 &up) have come on top water lures that past couple years. If you want numbers try using a silver 1/4 Oz rattletrap.

River smallmouth are my favorite fish and I am lucky to live by several high quality rivers.

Ive also been doing well with top water smallies. Also getting good numbers on chart. and darker color tubes. Then again the senko rigged wacky has produced a lot of bass in this heat.

Man I need to get out and fish.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Everyone wanting to get some smallie action needs to go out!! Caught my personal best two times today which is 18". They both went up about 3 lbs. jigging plastics is the way to go! Dont forget the smaller tributaries and branches off of the main river. My biggest fish came from under a bridge in a smaller branch of river.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts