Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

961 - 980 of 1078 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
I agree something seems fishy about all this.I wish I had a day off to go investigate for myself down there:D
But I do believe the spawner eyes will still do there thing regardless of the reason For lack of fish now and then the madness of packed Ramps plus busy river will all be back to normal.

·
Registered
12,741 Posts
Literally 100s of boats up and down the Saginaw River last fall/early winter and most were catching limits. This fall it was a ghost town. I would have a hard time believing the bad bite is just due to the abundance of shad in the river. Usually plenty of fish in both river systems in the fall...but quite possible that more guys that normally fish the Sag gave the SCR a shot this fall and discovered a new fishery. I might be wrong, but seems like the same thing happened a couple of years back with the Spring run and many guys switching from the Detroit River north to the SCR because they were finding just as many fish but fewer crowds??? We are very fortunate to have three great river systems to choose from. I just want to see the Sagnasty be full of fat Eyes in early March. After this fall, I am a little concerned. But I would guess they will still want to spawn upstream if the thaw comes early enough before the closure.
Not sure what you're talking about Mike. Fish don't enter the SCR until June.......

·
Registered
25,216 Posts
I agree something seems fishy about all this.I wish I had a day off to go investigate for myself down there:D
But I do believe the spawner eyes will still do there thing regardless of the reason For lack of fish now and then the madness of packed Ramps plus busy river will all be back to normal.
Right! The tell tail sign will be the last 2 weeks of the season, if the bigger fish have not showed by then, then we may have a problem concerning the river.
Until that happens Eye am sticking to the theory of things are just a little off/slow this year with the bigger fish entering the river. This is nothing we have not seen before in the past.

In short! The sky has not fallen yet. ;)

·
Premium Member
29,606 Posts
Right! The tell tail sign will be the last 2 weeks of the season, if the bigger fish have not showed by then, then we may have a problem concerning the river.
Until that happens Eye am sticking to the theory of things are just a little off/slow this year with the bigger fish entering the river. This is nothing we have not seen before in the past.

In short! The sky has not fallen yet. ;)
On a good note.....alot of perch should be saved! :)

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
I honestly think for whatever reason they ended up in st.clair. They've been crushing limits if nice fish down there since the time they should have been here. Millions of walleye don't disappear, they went somewhere.
Of course! All the Walleyes in Saginaw Bay took a School field trip down to Lake Saint Clair for the winter. And instead of spawning in that area, with the millions of Walleyes in Lake Saint Clair, they'll head back up to the Saginaw River to spawn. It is just a field trip, after all....:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I'm not trying to be a dick or start anything. I'm just saying people depend way too much on reports to decide whether to go fishing or not. The fishing is not on fire right now, but there are fish around if you are willing to put in work.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
It would be nice to know if the Edson ramp is clear of ice before making the trip north. Is there a web cam in that area. Was planning on hitting it tomorrow. Thanks if anybody has driven by it or the one across the river.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
The fish didn't go anywhere. Just because the walleye heroes of MS aren't catching fish doesn't mean the fish are gone.
Not sure what that means??? Walleye heroes of MS? I’m not a walleye hero...just going by my couple of trips in December and the empty parking lots. Yes, I’m guessing there are a few walleyes in the river that are being caught by the “non MS Walleye Heroes”...most of us are just comparing it to the thousands of fish that are caught in a normal fall and the usually full parking lots.

·
Premium Member
29,606 Posts
The fish didn't go anywhere. Just because the walleye heroes of MS aren't catching fish doesn't mean the fish are gone.
I hope they're gone for a year or 2 so the perch can come back. Then I can be a perch hero! Dam glass eyed carp need to quit eating my good fish..
:p:lol::hide:

961 - 980 of 1078 Posts