Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

941 - 960 of 1078 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Saw 3 trucks at lee street today river was open from the convergence thru Saginaw some ice chunks floating but not bad

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
That's just the thing...the river was wide open the entire months of November and December and the parking lots were empty because the walleye weren't there anywhere near normal. Yes a few fish were being caught for a short stretch just before Christmas...but in small areas and for a short period. Only Bassmaster was crushing them!!! So not sure it's worth the risk of boat damage and ice issues the way the bite was before she froze up??? If there wasn't the big push in November/December...why would they move in now? I just hope they hit the river like normal when it really opens up in late Feb/early March. Who knows...I could be wrong and the river could be loaded with snapp'n walleyes. But I wouldn't count on it, based on what I saw on my couple of December trips. I've asked this before and never really got any responses. Do you guys that have ice fished the river throughout the years, notice fresh pushes of fish throughout the winter? Or is it mostly the fall run fish and then the early spring run?

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
I honestly think for whatever reason they ended up in st.clair. They've been crushing limits if nice fish down there since the time they should have been here. Millions of walleye don't disappear, they went somewhere.
Why are they not in the river? Why are they in deeper water? Why are there so many bait fish still in the river? Why is St. Clair loaded with fish? It's a strange year.
The river is still boat fishable. The hard core fishers would be out there if there would be fish for the catching.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Literally 100s of boats up and down the Saginaw River last fall/early winter and most were catching limits. This fall it was a ghost town. I would have a hard time believing the bad bite is just due to the abundance of shad in the river. Usually plenty of fish in both river systems in the fall...but quite possible that more guys that normally fish the Sag gave the SCR a shot this fall and discovered a new fishery. I might be wrong, but seems like the same thing happened a couple of years back with the Spring run and many guys switching from the Detroit River north to the SCR because they were finding just as many fish but fewer crowds??? We are very fortunate to have three great river systems to choose from. I just want to see the Sagnasty be full of fat Eyes in early March. After this fall, I am a little concerned. But I would guess they will still want to spawn upstream if the thaw comes early enough before the closure.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Why are they not in the river? Why are they in deeper water? Why are there so many bait fish still in the river? Why is St. Clair loaded with fish? It's a strange year.
The river is still boat fishable. The hard core fishers would be out there if there would be fish for the catching.

·
Premium Member
29,606 Posts
Not sure if I'm missing something or not but st clair does great lots of years around this time frame. You're just seeing more reports with the mild winters when people can get boats out.
I've worked that way for 15 years. I know they have a great fishery, but it seems alot better than normal this year.

941 - 960 of 1078 Posts