Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

561 - 580 of 1078 Posts

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I can say that I have checked alot of river the last several days. NO schools of walleye except for a couple places in Saginaw that I could find. I am pretty confident with my locator. I have not been north of Indy or south of rust avenue.
I have seen years when they show up late...BUT IT IS LATE! NEVER we're there not fishable numbers by now. Also I never have seen over an inch of rain cause a blip of a few hours on the river flow and still keep great clarity. The river Dynamics have definitely changed.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just don't know what to think. It's just odd no legal fish I'm my last 3 trips and have caught over 75 eyes fishing sag to z bridge

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I just don't know what to think. It's just odd no legal fish I'm my last 3 trips and have caught over 75 eyes fishing sag to z bridge
Don't let it bother you. It is 2020. Not much hasn't gone wrong this year. More than likely it's the dams that caused a change In the walleyes behavior. Next year I'm sure they will have adapted to the new system and we'll be back in fish again. Not saying I believe the BS I'm dishing out but it sounds good and optimistic anyway.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Doesnt seem to be very many males in the bay right now either, I have caught some pretty good numbers in the last month and 85% have been females.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Reports show numbers(keeper) are not in river and your saying not many males in bay... Curious to Where do you think they(males) are?
Just reporting that most of the fish we have been catching are females so it looks like there must be alot of fish out in lake Huron. Not catching many of the smaller (keeper) fish that would normally hit the river.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
How many walleye were caught this spring and summer. Maybe a real hurt was put on the total number of fish in the chain. We should find out this winter, if there is safe ice. It's cold enough to start making ice this week.

·
Premium Member
29,617 Posts
How many walleye were caught this spring and summer. Maybe a real hurt was put on the total number of fish in the chain. We should find out this winter, if there is safe ice. It's cold enough to start making ice this week.
I doubt it. Last 2 winters been hardly anyone fishing due to bad ice. Alot of fish weren't caught.

·
Registered
25,223 Posts
IMO- No we did not catch 10 year class's worth of fish in one summer, river is off for bigger fish this Fall and early Winter, could be the result of several things natural or man made, including simply just a off year. Catching not many males out in the Bay this time of year is not that big of surprise, a majority of the fish caught out there this time of year are usually the lager staging hungry females. Eye don't think the sky is falling just yet. Just my 2 cents. :fish:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well your not catching many male in the bay this time of year is because there in the river usually.
Just throwing this out there but is there so much bait fish in The river that the fish just are full and don't want anything to do with us jigging

·
Registered
107 Posts
Guess I'm just going to have to learn the bay and start trolling if I want some eyes
Decline has to start sometime. Not realistic for it to continue. Granted the population could take a hit but i would be interested when and if our DNR will evaluate and review the 8 person limit if fishing stays slow. I know people have been catching limits on the bay but average bag I hear is about 3 per person. Just saying, hopefully the river and damn will get back to normal for the spring. Any date when a damn is to be completed.

·
Registered
327 Posts
It's all about finding them. If you can find hooks on the graph they're not hard to catch. I've been trying to fish and not follow the crowd and I've struggled trolling.

Bandits / DHJs 50-120 back and you're gonna catch them. Heard 1.0-2.0 + 2.8 (lol Ralph Smith) is all catching fish so I don't think it matters.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
There's always been a ton of bait fish in the river every yearso that's not it. I really think the numbers of fish are starting to decline and balance out and the dams being down are the combination. I'm definitely not an expert but I have been seeing the difference in size of fish getting bigger every year fishing from shore. It eventually has to balance out with the limits being taken year after year. I followed the fishery on lake erie when they were going through the same problem with the fish population. They had to raise the limits in walleye to bring back the perch. It definitely worked and the walleye limits are looked into every year if they need to change. Our DNR is following the advise of the Ohio DNR. Look at the erie fishing now, bigger and more perch and less walleye but bigger fish and still plenty to get a limit if you want it.

Sent from my moto z4 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

561 - 580 of 1078 Posts