Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Literally, the temp in the lower river is up 3 degrees today from yesterday morning. We're now at 61F and still climbing. All that south wind we had been getting lately must have be causing some upwelling at the bottom of Lake Huron, or just blowing the surface water north. The east wind yesterday changed that. The warm rain last night probably helped some too.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Literally, the temp in the lower river is up 3 degrees today from yesterday morning. We're now at 61F and still climbing. All that south wind we had been getting lately must have be causing some upwelling at the bottom of Lake Huron, or just blowing the surface water north. The east wind yesterday changed that. The warm rain last night probably helped some too.
I'm hitting the Freighter channel this weekend, hard. Haven't fished in a month.
Do you think this will cause the fish to move deeper?
Or, does the warming increase feeding baitfish numbers in the shallower water?
I'll look for your Alumacraft this weekend....

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
It means if you are pulling harnesses, they might want it a little faster.
Interesting. Faster speed means they want an aggressive presentation. Makes sense as colder water slows metabolism. I was planning on jigging or drifting harnesses. Not really set up to troll.
I would guess, get out early for jigging?

·
Registered
9,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting. Faster speed means they want an aggressive presentation. Makes sense as colder water slows metabolism. I was planning on jigging or drifting harnesses. Not really set up to troll.
I would guess, get out early for jigging?
If you’ve got a trolling motor to help with jigging, use it for augmented drifting. Sometimes they like a steady speed, but often I get more fish speeding up and slowing down. Say your SOG just drifting with no wind is 1.6 mph. I’ll use the trolling motor to go a little faster, or maybe just faster for a few seconds, kill it, and let the boat slow back down. In situations with a tailwind, I’ll often spin the trolling motor around to slow the boat. The fish can want a steady speed, or bite on either speeding up or slowing down.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is their a spot to fish from shore that can catch a few walleye have my son this weekend and would love to get him on a few. Preferably lower river. South of port Huron.
And if their is what method should I go with jig or bottom with husky jerks or harness. Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Is their a spot to fish from shore that can catch a few walleye have my son this weekend and would love to get him on a few. Preferably lower river. South of port Huron.
And if their is what method should I go with jig or bottom with husky jerks or harness. Thanks guys
Algonac has a nice walkway along the river. I think you can park in the shopping center across the street.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
If you’ve got a trolling motor to help with jigging, use it for augmented drifting. Sometimes they like a steady speed, but often I get more fish speeding up and slowing down. Say your SOG just drifting with no wind is 1.6 mph. I’ll use the trolling motor to go a little faster, or maybe just faster for a few seconds, kill it, and let the boat slow back down. In situations with a tailwind, I’ll often spin the trolling motor around to slow the boat. The fish can want a steady speed, or bite on either speeding up or slowing down.
Thank you. You have a ton of seat time this year. Knowledge through experience.
I'll report how it went....

·
Registered
9,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Algonac has a nice walkway along the river. I think you can park in the shopping center across the street.
Yes, you can cast from the boardwalk, but this week the mosquitoes are really starting to come out at dusk. The further north you go away from the marsh, the fewer skeeters you’ll find right now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, you can cast from the boardwalk, but this week the mosquitoes are really starting to come out at dusk. The further north you go away from the marsh, the fewer skeeters you’ll find right now.
That's a good too hmmm decisions decisions

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Thx for the tip on warmer temp = troll faster then slow down. It really helps the guys learning this stuff

Im heading to the middle this afternoon to try and cant wait to get out again! Just hope i dont lose 4 setups and 300 yards of line again, haha.

·
Registered
9,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thx for the tip on warmer temp = troll faster then slow down. It really helps the guys learning this stuff

Im heading to the middle this afternoon to try and cant wait to get out again! Just hope i dont lose 4 setups and 300 yards of line again, haha.
There's not a lot of snags in the Middle Channel other than the reef right at the beginning of it, and the occasional wreck here and there. If you go over a weird looking hump on your sonar and then get snagged, it's probably a wreck. I run 10 pound fireline on my bottom bouncer rods and most of the time can pull the snags free if I go back upstream. I'm also really watchful of only letting out just enough line. With linecounter reels, if I'm in 30 feet of water, something like 35-38 feet on the counter is good. At 40 feet, I'm 47-50 feet on the counter. By 50 feet deep, I'm around 60 feet on the counter.

·
Registered
9,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wonder what it is "usually" this time of year?
Usually around 60 by beginning of June and around 70 by beginning of July is my rule of thumb, give or take a few degrees. It’s still been colder than normal up until now, but starting to catch up. We got 10 days worth of temperature rise in 10 hours last night.

I also heard this week that a lot of the LCS muskie are prespawn or spawning now, which is really late. The muskie opener is supposed to be after they are done with their business. The big cold front that came through before Memorial Day weekend probably put the brakes on their spawn big time.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
The skeeters were bad at the launch this morning . And yes speed yourself up now that the water is warmer

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Fishflys are starting and there are some minnows along the shoreline. Fishing under the lights along the boardwalk in Algonac at night could turn out to be very productive. Walleyes lay in the shadow of the seawall and dart out for the easy meals passing by. Sometimes you can hear them like rising trout.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts