Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm looking to try some Salmon fishing in some of the rivers and lakes near Lake Michigan this fall. I've never fished for Salmon before, so any pointers and general locations that might bring a good bite would be appreciated. Specifially, what should I look for in a spot and what's best tackle to use. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
My advise to you is you live in GR. go down to the fish latter around mid september and watch and ask ? , their are alot of guys down their that will help thats how i did it and learned how to fish for salmon and what to use. good luck

·
Registered
313 Posts
A good M to MH rod between 9 to 10ft and Rapala minnow raps. Most colors work. Firetiger seems to be one of the better producers. Guys also use Jr. Thunder sticks, Husky Jerks and raps. Get some braided line on a reel that can hold a good 200 yards. Cast and hold on. This is just one of the legitmate ways of catching river running kings. There are others (spawn, plugs, etc). Stay away from yellow rods and big grappling hook lures. Those are the snaggers. Easy to spot. They're the guys throwing their shoulders out yanking, "trying to set the hook". It is usually followed by "Hey Clem, did you see that King Hit my lure". Another way to spot them is they usually have several empty beer cans around them with cigaratte butts all over the place.;)

Check into the stream forums. Some good info in there.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Or if you're big into flyfishing, ripping big, gaudy streamers works real well!

I wouldn't even go near the ladder in GR. It's snagging and CLyde heaven. Plain and simple, they guys there are jerks. I've seen knives pulled for stupid things. FOr the same reason, stay away from Tippy Dam.

DO you have a boat that can navigate rivers?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No boat, I'd be wadding for the most part. Unless I could talk a friend into taking his out.

·
Registered
762 Posts
If you can talk your friend into it, the best way is to get a boat onto the lower Manistee and start throwing lures like Thundersticks or Flatfish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts