Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Crazed Country Rebel
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to post this as a tribute to the person that first got me involved in bear hunting here in the UP. My wife's cousin Bob passed away last week at the young age of 42 after losing his battle with alcoholism. He was a big, kindhearted guy that loved all that this great state of Michigan has to offer.

From the Thumb area, his first bear hunts were in Ontario. He visited us in the Central UP shortly thereafter and scouted out some spots that produced many bears over the next decade. He would come to the UP each year to "guide" friends and family lucky enough to get bear tags.

I often helped him run the baits and got turned on to bear hunting through my experiences with him. I'll never forget the time he had to leave to return downstate during one of my first hunts and as luck would have it I took my first bear before he even made it to the bridge. Or the time when my brother accompanied us baiting for the first time and asked "should I just dump this bucket of fish guts right here on the pile?" and we laughed our a$$es off when my bro peeled back the lid and got such a snootful of dead fish stench that he instantly buckled to his knees gagging uncontrollably (yeah that's pretty sadistic but oh so funny at the time). Lots of good memories in the UP bear woods and some nice bears taken by a variety of folks, all thanks to Bob.

So say a prayer for a Michigan hunter that has gone to the other side - I bet there's big bruisers coming in right at dusk every night where he's hunting now. And by all means if you or someone you know is in a situation where alcohol is controlling your/their life, please realize that it can be deadly and get some help before it's too late.

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Nice Tribute.

Sorry to hear of your loss!
Prayers sent. Best wishes for you and the rest of your family.

Awful young, scary for a guy in a similar age group:(

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Very nice tribute, sorry to hear about your familys loss. Sounds like a he was a great man.

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
The memories you had with Bruin Bob will be cherished by you thru the rest of your life....When you're in the woods...alone...at your stand....look over your shoulder....cause..."He Is There"....with you.....I have many good friends....who are "With Me"...In the woods and on the water...I will never forget them...Oh! and don't you forget...say a prayer.....:)

MERRY CHRISTMAS HAPPY NEW YEAR

·
Crazed Country Rebel
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Everyone

He'll be missed, but as some of you said he'll be out there with me

·
Crazed Country Rebel
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I recently learned that Bob's mother and many other family members and friends will be converging on the UP at the start of this year's bear season to scatter his ashes at the old "Bear Camp" site in the state forest near Gwinn. A few words will be said and those who knew him will have a chance to tell some "bear huntin' with Bob" stories. We also plan to leave a memorial at the campsite, and will present Jack's Hideaway (a local hotspot in the true backwoods UP tradition) with a plaque and picture of Bob with a bear he took locally. I know this would please him - if you gotta go, that's a pretty good way to go out, eh?

·
cold, dead hands ......
6,198 Posts
yooperkenny said:
I recently learned that Bob's mother and many other family members and friends will be converging on the UP at the start of this year's bear season to scatter his ashes at the old "Bear Camp" site in the state forest near Gwinn. A few words will be said and those who knew him will have a chance to tell some "bear huntin' with Bob" stories. We also plan to leave a memorial at the campsite, and will present Jack's Hideaway (a local hotspot in the true backwoods UP tradition) with a plaque and picture of Bob with a bear he took locally. I know this would please him - if you gotta go, that's a pretty good way to go out, eh?
That's cool Kenny - God Bless you and your family through a tough time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts