Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its deer season and I also know where everyone's mind is.......but while I'm here at work thinking about hunting this weekend, i got thinking. Michigan has two zones, rifle and shotgun. We know the reason(s) why there are two zones. But w/all the technology w/blackpowder rifles and now more "magnum" slugs, why can't the DNR change the zones into one??? What about using a lever action rifle chambered in a handgun caliber?? Why can't the DNR realize this??? You guys know what I'm talking about?? Just doesn't make sense to me and I've called the DNR about this issue and they give me the story that a centerfire doesn't equal energy/velocity/blah, blah..than a slug can. But look at balistics and such...compare that stuff to a slug gun or the new blackpowder inline rifles......
what do you guys think??

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Well, i belive we will see a change in the near future but not soon! as far as shotgun/rifle/pistol/ml debate yeap thay are gettign better but you still cant make a slug /gun combo that will have as much energy at longer ranges were a rifle does the big thing is the news! the media would go nuts! Pstol caliber carbines humm why would you want to use a marlin 44 mag/or 357 mag when at 100yds a shotgun is better other than recoil! new muzzleloaders and shotguns are great yes but most are still only capable of a good 200yds as most of the guys using them are not capable of 100yds accuracy (just go to the state ranges this past few days and see what i mean) jeesh talk about scary!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Originally posted by deputy
. . . humm why would you want to use a marlin 44 mag/or 357 mag when at 100yds a shotgun is better other than recoil! . . .
Well, how about this scenario - I own a .44 mag Marlin, but not a slug gun. :D

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
They are getting better especially the black powder rifles. Yes I indeed think there should be a change because of the advancements of the newer firearms. Go back to where the black powder guns started. Primative weapons etc. Like it was suppose to be. Thye call em black powder, when in reality they are a single shot rifle. Granted there not a 7mm mag but none the less shoot a lot further than they used too!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts