Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have a Winchester Model 70 .270 that i religiously keep cleaned. More like "detailed". Not to make excuses, but since having a child my free time has obviously been reduced, and I STILL have not cleaned my rifle since deer season. I only put less than 5 shots through it. Will it be okay still once I clean it? This gun shoots less than 1" groups at 100 yards, and I'd like to keep it that way. I normally use Butch's Bore Shine, maybe Ill let the barrel soak in it for an hour.

Ive heard some say as long as its not black powder it wont hurt anything, but I still dont like waiting this long.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Should be fine. Clean it, maybe use some Flitz if you are worried. Then lube and store.

I think we are being conditioned to over cleaning these days.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
after you have a gun broke in i cant see it hurting anything...

never go over a week though after being fired its just been instilled shoot and clean....

i wish i was thisway with dishes lol

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
after you have a gun broke in i cant see it hurting anything...

never go over a week though after being fired its just been instilled shoot and clean....

i wish i was thisway with dishes lol

Trust me I usually don't. I probably way over do it. If a grain of powder touches the barrel the whole gun gets a cleaning. I'm just weird about it. Then I had my first child and my time for that went out the window.

I did get around to cleaning it though. I also took a recommendation from another member on here who was extremely helpful and got me using KG12. Best copper solvent I've ever used. The gun is squeaky clean now.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
At times your rifle groups will tighten as it gets a little dirty. You'll know when it's too dirty when your accuracy starts to suffer. Obviously you don't want to get to that point, but unless you are developing a load or on a prairie dog hunt, cleaning ever week is a waste of time and solvent. Example, my Remington R15 I use for coyote hunting; once it's dialed in, I won't clean it until the season is over. It may get 20 shots through it tops in 3 months. Unless your rifle is so dialed in that your first clean bore shot hits in the same spot as when its dirty, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Obviously I'm not going to store a dirty gun for a long period of time, but if it's getting routine use, I'd be more worried about rust on exterior parts myself (especially if it's not stainless).

Reactions: zimmzala

·
Registered
810 Posts
I expect to get slammed here because I don't subscribe to the "less is better" theory when it comes to gun care.

Being old school, I was taught by my war veteran elders that if I "take care of my gun or rifle, it'll take care of me." If I didn't clean my firearm after a day in the field I was verbally abused around the campfire in our hunting camp, until it was finally cleaned.

I realize that with modern primers and propellants, it isn't necessary to be so anal with the cleaning anymore, but it's hard for us old fuddy duds to change. And besides, I find enjoyment in tearing them down, cleaning them and putting them back together again.

There used to be a couple of old sayings like: "Old habits are hard to break", and "You can't teach an old dog new tricks". I fall in the middle there somewhere.....................

·
Banned
1,858 Posts
Clean it and shoot it, then you will know. I can't imagine it being a big deal, unless it rusted from lack of oil. Even then clean it up, and it might be fine.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I expect to get slammed here because I don't subscribe to the "less is better" theory when it comes to gun care.

Being old school, I was taught by my war veteran elders that if I "take care of my gun or rifle, it'll take care of me." If I didn't clean my firearm after a day in the field I was verbally abused around the campfire in our hunting camp, until it was finally cleaned.

I realize that with modern primers and propellants, it isn't necessary to be so anal with the cleaning anymore, but it's hard for us old fuddy duds to change. And besides, I find enjoyment in tearing them down, cleaning them and putting them back together again.

There used to be a couple of old sayings like: "Old habits are hard to break", and "You can't teach an old dog new tricks". I fall in the middle there somewhere.....................
This. And I will have panic attacks with flashbacks to my command officer doing a spot inspection on my M16 or M60 and finding some powder residue somewhere... that ammo was so dirty and cleaning supplies so bad, it was a major undertaking to get them spotless. Much easier now with the solvents and other products available. Love the bore snakes.

Reactions: topgun47

·
Registered
49 Posts
I used to like the bore snakes until I cleaned my rifles with a proper cleaning kit.
Cleaned them good with a brass rod, solvent and brushes. Couldn't believe how dirty the bore was.
They looked clean after the snake, but it wasn't removing the copper fouling.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts