Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking to buy a riding mower for the yard. Have about 3/4 of an acre with a good number of trees and obstacles and some uneven grades (small hills/inclines) and a fair bit of roots and bumps to go over.

Would like something to possibly handle the leaves in the fall as I have a bunch and am getting sick of raking 100 bags a year.

Looking for suggestions on a good mower. Should I buy new form big box store of used on Craigslist?

Any suggestions on what to look for or stay away from?

Looking to spend around a grand so it limits me to a used one or a low end big box item...cannot afford a zero turn which I know would be perfect.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
For a grand, you wont get much value in a riding yard mower from any big box. And for what it's worth, the quality level that they sell is really obvious, low. My next door neighbor bought a new J. Deere ($1500.00 from Home Depot, and he cuts about 1 acre. He already has problems with his "new" tractor. Deck keeps dropping when raised, mower disengages when mowing. Granted these are all adjustments but he explained he regrets buying that one. I purchased a new one this year. Simplicity 23HP/48 inch deck for $3000.00 less $400 for all my Craig's list Junkers (3 of them-hint:lol:) and $100.00 rebate brought mine down to $2500.00.
I would do the Craig's list buy again but be careful, or go get a nice new one, but stay away from the big box stuff, I think you might regret buying it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I got an INSANE deal on a zero turn off of craigslist. Only paid $1050 for this machine. 2009 Gravely ZT34 bought new in 2010 and barely used. Even had bagger and mulching kit installed already. This thing is pretty much brand new. Can't believe I got to it first. Now if the grass would just grow so I could put this thing to use. Can't wait.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I echo Greenbush's thoughts on the mower's that are around a grand. I mow about 2 1/2 acres with a troy built bronco, consumer reports had it as a best buy. While the motor is fine (Briggs and Straton), the rest of the mower is stamped sheet metal and I always seem to be fixing something on it.

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Well, I got an INSANE deal on a zero turn off of craigslist. Only paid $1050 for this machine. 2009 Gravely ZT34 bought new in 2010 and barely used. Even had bagger and mulching kit installed already. This thing is pretty much brand new. Can't believe I got to it first. Now if the grass would just grow so I could put this thing to use. Can't wait.
Sweet and Congrats on your find! :D

I'm wondering how well the bagger works with the mulching kit on it though? I know several people with zero turns with mulching/gator blades and they love it comes fall as it makes short work of their leaves.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts