Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from spending 2 hours at a local Rhino Linings business. You know, the truck bed people. I went there to inquire about having the upper deck and floors of my fiberglass Grady White Rhino Lined. I wanted to talk with the manager, get a price and see the material used, and learn about the feasibility and longevity of doing this on top of fiberglass. Even though spraying boats is a new concept that they just started doing, they have been having some good results and feedback's on the few boats they have done. One guy even had his bottom done on his aluminum duck boat, and claims it sealed the leaks, made it more quiet and way more durable on the ramps. And the price wasn't to shabby either. He estimated between $400.00 and $800.00, depending on how much deck square footage and tape-off is required. That's not bad considering I do have quit a bit of square footage on the Gradys deck and floors. Can any of you guys come up with any questions you'd want to know about this, that I might want to ask this manager before next April when I take it in?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Waterfoul said:
Non-slip ability would be one of my concerns. Weight would be another... Grady's are kinda heavy already... how much weight is this lining going to add? More weight means more fuel. Warranty? Color match??

This stuff is a tacky as fly paper even when wet. It weighs practically nothing, its like plastic. My Grady is a 1979, so her warranty might have expired by now. ;) One of the colors they have is "Smoke Gray" and is exactly what I wanted with the Red top and White Hull. But all good valid questions that I already asked about and considered myself. Also asked about the seal and the threat of getting water under the lining. They say that won't happen unless I gouge or cut into the sealer itself down to the fiberglass. And even then it would be minimal.

·
Registered
760 Posts
My 18' Sea Ark jon was done before I bought it used. It is even painted camo to match the boat. I LOVE it! even with a little snow I am not slipping all over.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I would ask about a lighter color. Smoke gray could get pretty warm with the sun beating down on it. But if you always have shoes on, it probably won't be an issue.

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
I have a couple of buddies that have done both the Rhinoliner, Duraliner liners and one did the Heculiner DIY (do it yourself) applications and all have been extremely pleased with the outcome. One did it to help prevent leaking on his duck boat, taking it into certain low water, rocky area's would damage the rivots. I am happy to report it held up just fine this past season! :)

Not to get to far off the subject I did the inside of the floor and cargo area of my Jeep Wrangler, talk about a easy clean surface! Just hose it out and its good to go! I'm helping it will help control the water/rust issues that plaque most Jeeps. I even saw one Jeep this past summer that that guy did the entire tub, inside and out! :yikes: Talk about a scratch resistant surface! :lol: No need for all that fancy bodywork, It was neat!

*Do a "search" using different terms, Rhinoliner, Duraliner, Herculiner, Leaks, etc. This subject has been the topic of more than one thread here in the past. ;)

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
How does it stand up to Cheeze Puffs and worm YUK ? I KNOW how much You love that stuff in Your boat:hide: ! All kidding aside, sounds like a good idea. Bob

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
booktens said:
I would ask about a lighter color. Smoke gray could get pretty warm with the sun beating down on it. But if you always have shoes on, it probably won't be an issue.

They don't have a lot of colors yet. This smoke gray is like the rustolium smoke gray color, which is for the most part is a lighter color. I was thinking yellow, but naaaaa. :fish2:

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
I had the bow of my 1st Tracker done by Stone Liners in Kalamazoo, it was super, they did a great job and it made the whole bow look great again vs. the old peeling non-skid decal it came with.

:cool:

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
look into "line-x" brand very similar product and can be made as smooth or as grutty as ya want smooth as glass for the bottom of the boat or gritty for the floor. seen it on some 4x4 truck show and they mentioned they had used it on boat bottoms and could formulate it to be like glass

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ozzgood2001 said:
look into "line-x" brand very similar product and can be made as smooth or as grutty as ya want smooth as glass for the bottom of the boat or gritty for the floor. seen it on some 4x4 truck show and they mentioned they had used it on boat bottoms and could formulate it to be like glass

My new truck has Line-x in it. It appears pretty dull looking and I'm pretty sure it only comes in black, which is not what I want on the deck of my boat. Some other guys are talking about some product Farm and Fleet sells, anybody ever here of this stuff? And what is it called if you know?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
If anyone has a price they could provide I would appreciate it. I just put a floor in the 14ft boat and contemplated looking into the cost of a rhino liner...

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No Mas said:
If anyone has a price they could provide I would appreciate it. I just put a floor in the 14ft boat and contemplated looking into the cost of a rhino liner...

Thanks,

Tom

Tom.

After checking on the other boards this morning for comments about the Rhino Liner, one of the posts directed me to this site. http://www.nonslipcoating.com/marine.htm I first read the testimonies from others and then called them and discussed their marine paint. Wulp, I just ordered 3 cans. Two (textured) for my Grady and one (Smooth) for my Jet sleds bottom. About 1/2 of what I figured the Rhino would cost for the Grady alone, and I prefer to do it myself anyways. :gaga: :p

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ted stehney said:
W.E. how much does a gallon weigh??
Ted.

Its listed on their site under Technical points. One gallon weighs 10 pounds. They say 1 gallon will do a truck bed, so I ordered 2 gallons for the boat deck of my Grady. And one gallon for my jet sleds bottom. :chillin:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I was looking at my bass pro marine catalog I got yesterday and they make something that looked similiar to the rhino lining. I do not have the catalog number and cannot remember the name of the product. Anyone know what I am talking about? I looked at the link w.e. gave and that looks like some good stuff...

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No Mas said:
I was looking at my bass pro marine catalog I got yesterday and they make something that looked similiar to the rhino lining. I do not have the catalog number and cannot remember the name of the product. Anyone know what I am talking about? I looked at the link w.e. gave and that looks like some good stuff...

Heres the Technical Data I pulled off their site.

Description: Physical Properties:
Durabak™ floor coating and industrial coating is a tough, one-part polyurethane with self-contained recycled rubber granules, which give it an attractive tough-textured appearance. When exposed to atmospheric moisture, Durabak™ undergoes a chemical curing process which changes it from a liquid to a tough polyurethane membrane. Durabak™ will chemically bond to most clean and dry surfaces. These include, but are not limited to, concrete, wood, fiberglass, metal, rubber and soundcoatinged materials. It can be applied by roller, brush or spray. Durabak™ can give a relatively smooth or rough surface, depending on application technique.

Uses:
Durabak™ has many applications for commercial, military and civilian use. Durabak™ protects surfaces from foul weather elements and harsh chemicals, while creating a non-slip surface on:
pedestrian walkways
truck beds
ramps and loading docks
bridges
concrete, metal and wooden steps
catwalks
ship decks
marine applications
pleasure boats
storage tanks
floors
handicap ramps
pools and spas
sealing rusty pipes
playgrounds
freight elevators
tool handles
roofing
vehicle undercoating
curb ramps
parking lots

Weight per gallon, pounds 10

Viscosity, Kreb units 67-72

Percent solids by weight R

Application temperature range 32oF-95F

Application thickness, 2 coats dry 29-39mils

Flexibility total flexibility

Resilience resilient in dry state

Abrasion resistance
Tabor wheel, 1000 gr load, 1000 cycles 30.5

Fire resistance
Flame spread
Smoke generation ASTM E-162: 01
ASTM E-662: 06

Salt water resistance 100%

Freeze-thaw resistance -60oF to +254oF

Pot life 3 Hours

Shelf life min. 1 year

Flash time 1-1/2 to 3 hours

Walk time 6 to 12 hours

Time between coats + 1 hour

Full circle + 4 days

VOC 2.9 lbs/gal

DOT Hazmat Info coating, 3 UN1263, PG III

Advantages:
One-Part No mixing of components
Totally Flexible Never chips, flakes or peels
Repairable Bonds to itself
Protection Waterproof, Resistant to acid, chemicals, UV exposure, salt water
Fast Drying Very short intercoat time; Foot traffic in 6 to 12 hours
Economical Lasts for years; no need to remove old Durabak™ when recoating

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Wow, the Durabak looks awesome. Now, you've got me thinkin' about all kinds of projects.

A coworker of mine used some of the smooth version for their garage concrete floor and just love it.

I see that their logo is on several of the vehicles in the photos on the website. Hmmm...sponsorship? I think they should because I think you just sold me on buying a gallon.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Just checked out the website and WOW! Thats waaaaayyy cheaper then the prices I was quoted to do my truck bed. Heck, mine is only a 5'8 short box and still would cost $400 at line-x. I put a bed mat in it but I might have to get a gallon of this stuff to try it myself.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts